• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than 'what are your hobbies off season', what do you do to stop yourself from going rusty in the summer months? Do you go to summer slopes? Indoor slopes? Does skateboarding help for boarders?

I had decided to read motivational books but I just can't seem to get started.

I tend to cartwheel, myself.     ...Though, is it technically called cartwheeling if partly done with your face?

and all this is related to the skills on piste? Sorry, maybe I should have been a bit clearer. What do people do that is directly snowboarding/skiing related while not on snow to make sure they don't lose touch, or is it like riding a bicycle?

"Sharp" is difficult to define - I tend to do a lot of bushwalking (what the Kiwis call "tramping") but ramp up the energy as the season approaches.

Walking.

Although have been known to skip down the mountain.

I tend to cartwheel, myself.

...Though, is it technically called cartwheeling if partly done with your face?

• Like 1

Try to skate a bit on the longboard squats lunges trampolining is great is you have one

I've got a longboard too but with "surfy trucks" so you can kind of carve on it. Doesn't really feel like snowboarding at all because you can't slide laterally but its perfect for the concrete wasteland that I live in.

Personal training/kickboxing/strength training to keep me relatively fit (have had 6 months off due to illness and injury so that hasn't helped)

And backing it up - Southern and Northern Hemi adventures every year for the last 8... Sometimes just a week, sometimes much more, but even just a weeks freshen up in July can make all the difference.

I now find that first skate into the lift queue of the new trip I feel all unco. But by the time I strap in up the top it's all back and form is switched on. It used to take a couple of days.

Try to skate a bit on the longboard squats lunges trampolining is great is you have one

I've got a longboard too but with "surfy trucks" so you can kind of carve on it. Doesn't really feel like snowboarding at all because you can't slide laterally but its perfect for the concrete wasteland that I live in.

Yeah got a freeboard but way too dangerous for me at least with the longboard you get the muscle memory in your feet and legs that imitate snowboarding slightly

Yeah got a freeboard but way too dangerous for me at least with the longboard you get the muscle memory in your feet and legs that imitate snowboarding slightly

I was looking at freeboards but as I understand it, they're more for down hill riding, although I've read that they carve pretty well. I watched one of the instructional videos and thought "that looks way too fast for me" and went for the longboard I have now instead. As a way for keeping in touch with snowboarding in the off season, its not bad. I find the constant pushing with your off foot really works up a sweat quickly so I usually end up finding a reasonably steep and long hill and carve down it. Its definitely fun in its own way.

Forgot to mention that I now stand at the computer rather than sit. That's made a massive difference to my core in a very short space of time (3 months).

And about 30 mins to an hour of that standing time I stand on a balancing board.

Oh, BTW Sapporo, we are gonna have a BBQ down by the Horohirabashi on the Toyohira river on Sunday from 1pm if you wanna come down. The last hurrah of summer!! If anyone else is in the area, please come down :thumbsup:

Thanks for the invite!

would def be up for it, but going to TOBIU camp/festival in Shiraoi (if there is still somewhere left not underwater to camp on!)

Will def have to sort a trip to Teine and Kokusai together sometime this season!