iPhone 6 (and other smartphones)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks. So a kishu henkan gets me that discount then... that is good. That makes a fair bit of difference...

Hahaha! You do proof reading? Please tell me it's not in English?! I don't think I've ever seen a single post from you that doesn't have at least a good chunk of it that is incomprehensible.  

Its too big to carry for sports and you'll look a bit of a berk making phone calls with it. For web and videos though, a big screen is great.

Mine's an Android phone but it shows the improvement Apple could make in screen size if they made those stupid bezels smaller. My screen is only 10% smaller than the 6 plus but phone is almost the same size as the 6. The 6 in particular has a large amount of wasted space, about a third of the face area. If the test of a good design is "would people buy it if it ran Android?" I think the answer would almost certainly be no. Conversely people buy MacBooks and run windows on them. That's because they are a really good design.

2014_10_01_17_36_44.png

I like the thin sides to that middle one. I wonder why Apple insists on those bevels, if that's what they're called.

Whatever design for the new iphone is far from exciting.

But the screen makes up for that and worth the change, esp. as my monthly bill has gone down in a wtf kind of situation.

Anyway battery update for you now that it's settled into normal use.

It seems to be down to around 50-60% at the end of the day so indeed a considerable improvement on the 5 I had which was always close to be needing a rechange.

Thanks for the battery info. Sounds good. Ours arrived at the shop early this week, but my missus had second thoughts so we're just getting the 6 now. So back to waiting again. We're getting the fast discount thing though, so downgrading from the 6 plus and the discount mean about 20,000 yens less. So long as we stay with au, the dribble discount on the phone means that its 600 a month for two years for the phone (15,000 total), but 33,000 back for the old one, 10,000 extra in discount, a 3,000 yen coupon for no particular reason and some photo viewer/TV thing thrown in for good measure (nearly 50,000 total plus gizmo). So we're thirty odd thousand up for getting a new phone, albeit we have to stay with au for the dribble discount. Our current Iphone 5 is unusable on the cheapo au network provider (mineo), but if our new phone works okay in two years' time, I guess we'll ditch au there and then. Assuming they don't have some other "you can have this, and this, and this!" campaign again.

Apple made the bezel on the Ipad Air much smaller, so its something they know about. I think they have a patent for putting the fingerprint scanner under the screen, so that might come in sometime. It would make the space for the screen much bigger.

Thanks for the battery info. Sounds good. Ours arrived at the shop early this week, but my missus had second thoughts so we're just getting the 6 now. So back to waiting again. We're getting the fast discount thing though, so downgrading from the 6 plus and the discount mean about 20,000 yens less. So long as we stay with au, the dribble discount on the phone means that its 600 a month for two years for the phone (15,000 total), but 33,000 back for the old one, 10,000 extra in discount, a 3,000 yen coupon for no particular reason and some photo viewer/TV thing thrown in for good measure (nearly 50,000 total plus gizmo). So we're thirty odd thousand up for getting a new phone, albeit we have to stay with au for the dribble discount.

Bloody hell just reading that I'm confused! :lol:

Not really, unless your fingers wrap around completely to the front when you hold it.

Mine's in a case so there's also a ridge. The screen goes right up to where the case starts.

It sounds like the new new newest Ipad thing has a soft SIM, to help you switch providers when you feel like it. I don't know how important not having a physical SIM card is, considering that many companies including Apple already sell unlocked, "SIM free" phones and tablets, but if it makes it easier to switch providers, then bring it on! Stick the same tech in the phones please!

The new Nexus phone I was tempted to wait for has been announced and is supposedly $650 off contract, so I don't suppose I would have got one anyway. Google have gone high end with it, and though it sounds really good and is $200 or so less than the Iphone 6+, it's still a big bump up from the $400 or so for the previous Nexus. Maybe its because the profit margins are much bigger at the high end.

I signed up with a different one, but starting this month, the sim provider Iijmio will give you a phone number and 2GB a month for 1600 yen. Bump it up to 4GB a month for Youtube and its 2200. That's on the docomo network.

Battery update.

I'm actually really impressed with it. Last time I charged it, it was Friday and it's still on 40% now. Didn't use it a huge amount it it was used. Definitely a consierably improvement on the last one.

I use a goosperry case on my phone. It's silicon but pretty stiff with only a slight give for gripping the thing. Lots of different colours. Only about 1000 yen.

In other news, my provider Umobile upped their capacity this week, so I now get 4-5Mbps! I've had to set Youtube to play HD only over wifi, because my kids can use all my 3GB in a few hours now.

In other cheapo news, mineo, the company selling cheap plans on au's network have come out and said they can't support ios 8. It means that au Iphones are stuck on au with au prices. So if you want a new Iphone, get a docomo one. They'll pay all the fees to carry your number over from au or softbank. There are loads of cheapo providers on docomo's network, so a docomo iPhone is effectively unlocked for use in Japan.

How much does a great g give your you can n terms of time?

With a bit of simple browsing and email maybe a month! With HD content on Youtube, I dunno, maybe just an hour if its 1080p.

Videos quickly eat it up.

I went over my allocation last month and normal browsing and email seems totally unaffected. Videos were a different matter though. That is a much better set up than them charging for extra bytes though.