iPhone 6 (and other smartphones)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks. So a kishu henkan gets me that discount then... that is good. That makes a fair bit of difference...

Hahaha! You do proof reading? Please tell me it's not in English?! I don't think I've ever seen a single post from you that doesn't have at least a good chunk of it that is incomprehensible.  

maybe someone can help me out on my iphone 5.

I keep getting a message "You have a new message" as well as a "dismiss" button.

But when i open my iphone there aren't any new messages. :confused:

You should get a smartphone, stemik.... for they are smarter.

;)

Sounds odd for sure!

My daughter tried a smartphone, and even though it was easier adding music, it was a heap of crap. No wonder it was 0yen!

Someone reckons theirs bent by bumping into someone!

When you traded yours in gg, did au ask for the charger back? I'd like to keep ours if it doesn't cost any points. The phone I bought didn't come with one. Its a docomo version of the LG G2 off Amazon and I've stuck a sim in from U mobile. I get reception, which was worry number one, and the data speed (displayed as LTE) is fine, if not blazingly fast. About 1 meg during the day and 2 at night. For some reason, the upload is really fast, about 15 meg, so some photo backup/transfer thing on the cloud should be a goer. Our au iphone gets a dribble for uploading. The sim contract has a six month bind, so I might read up and change to company with a rep for faster speeds when it comes up. Once you have a compatible phone, you can test most companies' speeds for under 1000 yen with a prepaid data sim, so that's what I might do.

The phone itself came with Android 4.2.2 with one layer of crappy display clutter on it from LG, and another, more integrated layer of crap on it from docomo. Thankfully you can ditch most of it in one go by installing a free interface program called Apex launcher. Once you do, Android looks and feels pretty much the same as iOS or any other "icons on a wallpaper" interface, albeit with much more scope for customization. The phone's screen is really nice and has a small bezel, so you get 20% more screen for the same bulk compared to an iphone. Swiftkey is much better than Apple's keyboard, so that'll go straight onto my missus' Iphone when it arrives.

I think the bigger the phone the more likely it is to bend, and more likely to be user error than equipment failure.

I think its more to do with the thickness. This isn't Apple's first aluminium device but this is the first time this has been a big issue. It may have happened before, but to nowhere near this extent. Most of them are bending at the same place, which is a design problem, not something inherent with the material.

Or perhaps it's just a load of mischievous media creating a story?

Didn't the story originally break with most of the photos on the macrumors forum? The rest of the media is just doing their normal job of "here's some content online we can use to fill our site".

Apparently Apple have come out and said they'll replace a bent one, but only after some kind of inspection. Even so, ours is going in a hard-to-remove rigid case when it comes in readiness for the 9 year old vs a 6 year old tug'o war in the back of the car.

On the Apple store you can buy an Iphone split over 60 payments. It will be almost 2020 by the time you've paid it off. :lol:

User reports and fears that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus phones are bending in trouser pockets are overblown, according to independent testing by the US non-profit Consumer Reports.

In fact, its tests found that HTC’s One M8 phone bent under the same force as the iPhone 6 - and that the “phablet-size” iPhone 6 Plus was stronger than both. The tests showed, though, that the new phones are substantially less strong than 2012’s iPhone 5, whose body is also used in 2013’s iPhone 5S.

Consumer Reports tested the iPhone 6, 6 Plus and iPhone 5 against the LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and HTC One M8 using a compression testing machine to apply a “three-point flexural test”, where a metered force is applied to the centre of the phone while it is supported at each end.

It concluded that “while nothing is (evidently) indestructible, we expect that any of these phones should stand up to typical use.”

It found that the 4.7in iPhone 6, which is 7.1mm thick, would show permanent bending with the equivalent of a 70lb (31.8kg) weight placed on the centre of its back. The 5.5in iPhone 6 Plus deformed at 90lbs, and the 4in iPhone 5 - which is 7.6mm thick - at 130lbs.

The 5in HTC One M8 also bends under a 70lbs weight, and its case separated at 90lb, while the iPhone 6 resisted to 100lb.

The 5.5in LG G3 resisted bending up to 130lbs, the same as the iPhone 5, and the 5.7in Samsung Galaxy Note 3 150lbs.

“While not the strongest smartphones on the market, fears of a serious structural design flaw in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus seem overblown,” explained Glenn Derene, electronics editor for Consumer Reports in a video of the tests.

Most of the phones continued to work after deforming, and required an extra 20 to 30lbs to bend enough to separate the screen from the phone’s case.