iPhone 6 (and other smartphones)

"Does it last a day?" is about the only measurement I'm interested in. We got the 6 plus and the bigger battery was a factor over the 6. Our kids like to watch videos and it hammers the battery.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks. So a kishu henkan gets me that discount then... that is good. That makes a fair bit of difference...

Hahaha! You do proof reading? Please tell me it's not in English?! I don't think I've ever seen a single post from you that doesn't have at least a good chunk of it that is incomprehensible.  

I'll qualify my following points by saying that I am an absolute amateur / total beginner in the world of smartphones.

However, I recently purchased a Nokia 635 which runs with the Windows 8.1 os (Microsoft now own Nokia) and I have found it to be brilliant for my needs.

It cost $239 off the net unlocked and I use the Amaysim prepaid unlimited package which gives unlimited calls and txt's within Australia & 5 Gig of data per month for $45.

Very happy camper :thumbsup:

As for battery life with both the iphones and smart phones the screen is the biggest battery eater, followed by the internet and then auto syncing.

Most phones at factory setting have the phone screen brightness set on auto or around the 50-70% brightness setting.

The auto brightness really eats the batteru because it often sets the screen brighter than needed.

Better to disable that and instead set it for manual brightness and set your brightness for around 30-40% brightness for indoor or cloudy weather.

You only need it set brighter in high light conditions or full sunshine.

This will save a huge amount of battery everytime the screen is on.

Another thing turn off auto sync unless you really need it.

You will still receive email, fb, twitter notices with it disabled.

One more thing all phones have many applications running all the time in the background basically every app installed on your phone is running constant in the background whether you use it or not.

If you set them to all sleep while the screen is off this will also save battery.

Dont turn on sleep for things like email, fb, etc otherwise you will not receive notifications until the screen comes back on.

The duration for screen time out also burns battery unnecessarily.

If you set screen timeout to say 15-30 seconds this will save a lot of battery too.

Doing the above can save as much as several hours of battery depending on your phone and the way you use it.

An iphone is not considered a smartphone, everyone associates them as something different.

If you go to a phone shop and you want a smartphone and ask for a smartphone, they will not offer you an iphone as a choice.

Although technically they are the same thing but with a different operating system people think of them as different.

I wonder you must have no life, I offer some hopefully helpful advise for some people who 'may not' know and all you worry about is the difference or lack of between phones with two different operating systems.

Everyone understands the difference in the way iphone and smartphone is used in speach and as I said above consider them seperate devices.

Everyone understands the difference in the way iphone and smartphone is used in speach and as I said above consider them seperate devices.

Well, count me out of your 'everyone' comment, because I consider iphone to be a smartphone.

Mainly due to the simple fact that..... it is!

So it must be like everyone minus myself and brit-gob.

snowdude, I was clearing something up you said that was misleading. If we want to help people, as you so boldly suggest, then surely it's best not to mislead them.

** By the way, speech is not spelt 'speach'.

Everything I say is misleading to you, lol.

I am sure people are not so stupid that they do not understand what I am saying even if it may not be to your liking.

If it is confusing I am sure people are capable of asking me what I mean.

While it is good to make sure things are accurate or clear most people can anyway read between the lines if something is not quite as clear and work out without too much trouble what I mean.

But your point has been noted and I will try to make things more clear so that people will find it less confusing.

Everything I say is misleading to you, lol.

I am sure people are not so stupid that they do not understand what I am saying even if it may not be to your liking.

If it is confusing I am sure people are capable of asking me what I mean.

While it is good to make sure things are accurate or clear most people can anyway read between the lines if something is not quite as clear and work out without too much trouble what I mean.

But your point has been noted and I will try to make things more clear so that people will find it less confusing.

Snowdude, saying that an iPhone is not a smartphone is like saying a hoover is not a vacuum cleaner.

and iPhone is a model of smartphone produced by Apple, running software called ios.

just like a Sony experia z is a model of smartphone produced by Sony running software called android.

if that isn't clear to you, then here is some reference material for you.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Smartphone

Docomo and au treat the iphone differently and do not list them under their smartphones. I don't even think the iphone is listed in the same catalogue as anything on Android.

I think this is just Apple being poncey and there is really no need to go along with it.

In the real world, google gives 220,000 hits for "iphoneなどのスマートフォン"

Yeah. The way Docomo labels it is

iPhone

Docomo Smartphones

Obviously, that doesn't escape the fact that the iPhone is a smartphone.

It's just the dominant one and apple gave probably demanded such treatment.

fwiw, the Japanese carriers have always had their own release schedule with summer and winter models, and their phones are not stock. A Japanese Galaxy, HTC etc. is quite different to the international model. Japanese models are usually waterproof, get tv reception, and can be used for pasmo, felica, and all the nfc based payment things you can do. Conversely, most of the Android phones with the highest ratings on the international tech sites are not available on Japanese carriers.

Apple clearly have their own international release schedule, hype the hell out of it, and don't include the Japan specific features above. It could make sense from the carrier's perspective too to keep the Iphone separate. They seem to sell it on a "no touch" basis where if you have a problem with it, their response is "you run along to Apple now because this has nothing to do with us". It must save them lots of stress when folks say "how do I get my train pass on this" etc.

Yes, of course. I brought up the sales tactics of the Japanese carriers because it is about the only basis for thinking that the iphone is not a smartphone.

It's a bit ironic for snowdude to take that thinking on, because he doesn't have a very high opinion of Apple's stuff.

Thankfully, the 220,000 hits for "iphoneなどのスマートフォン" (like the thread title here) shows that plenty of ordinary Japanese people too view the Iphone as the smartphone that it is, regardless of how they are marketed.