iPhone 6 (and other smartphones)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks. So a kishu henkan gets me that discount then... that is good. That makes a fair bit of difference...

Hahaha! You do proof reading? Please tell me it's not in English?! I don't think I've ever seen a single post from you that doesn't have at least a good chunk of it that is incomprehensible.  

It's pretty big. But not unweildly so.

Friend of mine has what can only be called a slate (so says I) docomo sony thing that is huge. Its more tablet than phone but is actually a phone. Looks a bit ridiculoous. And also has Android on it. Might even be the same thing snowdude has.

Got my new phone.

How bizarre is this:

Before:

Two year old iPhone 5 32GB

Monthly paying around 9500 yen on average but differed a bit each month as I was paying for every call.

Now:

New iPhone 6 Plus 64GB

The first 8(.2) months the monthly charge will be 5400 yen.  

After that, it will settle to about 9300 yen.  

That includes as many calls as I want.

Quite how getting a brand new phone can be considerably cheaper than continiuing with the old one is a bit beyond me, even looking at all the silly complicated numbers, but I won't complain.

They even gave me a present... a mobile charger thing that had a charge stamp of 6500 yen on it.

Cheers!!

:)

That is pretty wild isn't it.

What do we need to learn from this... perhaps to not just stick on something forever and go in and ask what can be done.

Why did you get the "present"?

I think it depends on the shop, i got a digital photo frame when I bought my phone it is water proof has one and full seg TV and you can also watch movies on it.

The catch need to pay 4 yen a month for 2 years for the internet connection.

Then can cancel it but can keep the frame.

So for less than 100 yen for 2 years I thought why not.

It's pretty big. But not unweildly so.

Friend of mine has what can only be called a slate (so says I) docomo sony thing that is huge. Its more tablet than phone but is actually a phone. Looks a bit ridiculoous. And also has Android on it. Might even be the same thing snowdude has.

If it is the Sony Experia Ultra tjen yeah its the same as mine.

We went and ordered one today too. About an hour and a half in the shop. They drag it on and on.

We ordered the big one too. Its not humungous and its for my missus and it goes in a handbag. I can't say I'm all that impressed with the design (to an almost laughable extent given the hype in the reviews), and the 5 is nicer and more metally and the camera doesn't stick out. The big screen is good though, and side by side, the bigger one is better for smartphone-y stuff. The 25,000 trade in has improved further for some reason, so we'll get 33,000 points for our old one. It makes the new iPhone 6 plus free. They are also giving us a wacky photo viewer/waterproof tv thing for free and we got a coupon for 3000 yen we can use to buy a case. We were also offered gps things to put on our kids' school bags, but we gave them a miss. With all the freebies and the money back, my missus got well confused and kept asking what the catch was.

For sports tracking with Strava/Runkeeper etc. I suspect both new iPhones are too big and that you'd be better off with an iPhone 5 or 4s. I could fit the 6 plus in my jeans pocket, but I certainly wouldn't want to run with one or the 6 even. Same goes for mounting on handlebars.

did they say how long it would be before you get it?

Nope. The only ones they had in the shop were the 6 with 128GB, but they had it in all three colours.

There's a good site in Japanese about 3rd party sims called mvno-navi.com. Lots of info about different sim providers and recommendations about phones that work well on them.

Already used to the bigger screen, just about right I reckon...always wanted larger, but obviously didn't want to move over to a rubbish android environment. I might even use my iPad mini less, it does make a big difference.

Hope you can get it soon!

I have an i pad air 128GB and i pad mini128 GB, which no I did not waste my hard earned on, thankfully.

Due to a contract I have with a company I do proofreading for I have them for business, they bought them.

Had them a week now, and had a good long play with them, what a pile of crap, how anyone can prefer them to android I dont know.

They are slow for a start, messy to use not customisable and pretty limited as to what you can do with them.

I already got pissed off using them and cant see me using them except for surfing the net as the air has a 10 inch screen so good for that, orherwise nah I will stick go my phone anyday much more user friendly easy to do split / double screen, easy to have lots of apps open and running all at the same time and totally customizable.

I can see both of the ipads ending up in a draw not getting used actually.

Why they didnt give me android tablets, I dont know, so much better.

I did give them a chance and used them a lot to get used to them, but no I do not like them, a bit of a waste really on their part.

They dont even have a back button, WTF.

How I see them ipads are ok for people who like very simple and basic and dont really like to change anything, but for people who like something you can make your own and be different to everyone else then an ipad aint it.

I have an i pad air 128GB and i pad mini128 GB, which no I did not waste my hard earned on, thankfully.

Due to a contract I have with a company I do proofreading for I have them for business, they bought them.

Had them a week now, and had a good long play with them, what a pile of crap, how anyone can prefer them to android I dont know.

They are slow for a start, messy to use not customisable and pretty limited as to what you can do with them.

I already got pissed off using them and cant see me using them except for surfing the net as the air has a 10 inch screen so good for that, orherwise nah I will stick go my phone anyday much more user friendly easy to do split / double screen, easy to have lots of apps open and running all at the same time and totally customizable.

I did give them a chance and used them a lot to get used to them, but no I do not like them, a bit of a waste really on their part.

How I see them ipads are ok for people who like very simple and basic and dont really like to change anything, but for people who like something you can make your own and be different to everyone else then an ipad aint it.

Hahaha! You do proof reading? Please tell me it's not in English?! I don't think I've ever seen a single post from you that doesn't have at least a good chunk of it that is incomprehensible.

Again, I question whether you actually know the difference between Android, which is software, and iPad, which is hardware. Trying to make the argument that Android is better than iPad is like saying that binary code is better than a computer. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

• Like 1

Again, I question whether you actually know the difference between Android, which is software, and iPad, which is hardware. Trying to make the argument that Android is better than iPad is like saying that binary code is better than a computer. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Haha, most of the time I use my smartphone to type with on here and do not really care to much about my English.

When I proofread I use my computer and of course check what I am typing, so I can't be arsed to do that ln here.

I am sure you know what I mean by my posts anyway.

And yes I know the difference between iphone and smartphone that being iphone has the ios operating system and smartphone has android in it.

I compare them in the way I do as everyone understands iphone or ipad, but not everyone unserstands ios.

Everyone seems to understand android is the operating system for smartphones for some reason though.

Anyway read between the lines and I am sure you will be able to follow my posts.

I've got a question for you snowdude.

Is the iPhone a smartphone?

Your analysis points to it not being.

Haha, most of the time I use my smartphone to type with on here and do not really care to much about my English.

When I proofread I use my computer and of course check what I am typing, so I can't be arsed to do that ln here.

I am sure you know what I mean by my posts anyway.

And yes I know the difference between iphone and smartphone that being iphone has the ios operating system and smartphone has android in it.

I compare them in the way I do as everyone understands iphone or ipad, but not everyone unserstands ios.

Everyone seems to understand android is the operating system for smartphones for some reason though.

Lunch a few times and a potted plant are about the only freebies I've had off my clients!

I've signed up for U mobile and bought an LG G2 phone off Amazon, as recommended that mvno-navi site and some blogs I saw. I can't comment on the service till I try it, but over two years it should be 4,000 a month cheaper than au for the same amount of data but no calls. The phone is the same size as the iPhone 6, but the screen is 20% bigger.

My contract is not up till next summer so it's 10,000 to leave au. I've been on them since it was Kansai Cellular, so maybe 17 years. I don't think that counts for anything though.

Basically I have been doing work for them for just over ten years both proofreading and adding/correcting data to EU company websites that they control and use for exhibitions, etc.

My wife is also involved with them, so they bought both of us one really for all the work we have done for them and new busines we have helped bring in.

It was totally out of the blue, a very nice gesture of course even though I don't really like ipads or the IOS that is in them.

I guess I should appreciate those gifts more than I do, but I can't change how I feel about them.