iPhone 6 (and other smartphones)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks. So a kishu henkan gets me that discount then... that is good. That makes a fair bit of difference...

Hahaha! You do proof reading? Please tell me it's not in English?! I don't think I've ever seen a single post from you that doesn't have at least a good chunk of it that is incomprehensible.  

Yes, I am quite hurt indeed.

:(

GoNative's never-ending natural flair for wit though makes up for it all.

:lol:

I never quite get the instant fanboy stuff though. If I liked Android, would I be an Android fanboy. Can't I just like and enjoy something. Actually, they're not really questions.

:thumbsup: 

10704437_10152451236551925_6264510072794819904_o.jpg

The best thing about that is that Apple has always said you don't need a big screen or proper multitasking or customization or the other things. They always said not having such things was better. Just like the PowerPC chips were better than Intel's.

Just for the absurd way phones are sold in Japan, I think my missus could change phones on au from her Iphone 5 to an Iphone 5C (pointless, because it's exactly the same thing with a different colour case) for 135 yen a month for two years, about 3200 total. I guess this would cost au 20,000 yen plus. However, if we don't do it, au won't give us any discount for saving them 20,000 yen. The pricing system is designed for people who chuck their phone away every two years.

A little more searching suggests U mobile will give you a 3GB a month SIM and a regular phone number for 2170 a month on Docomo's network, LTE included. A SIM free Iphone is okay, so that's what I think I'll do. With 3GB I could even let my kids watch youtube.

u-mobile thing is interesting...... service same quality/level as docomo?

Dunno, it's why I've not left au and gone onto Y! Mobile which used to be Willcom. I've seen people fail to get a Softbank signal in my house, so I'm wary of any provider, esp. a minor one like Willcom, not giving me a signal. I can't remember folks having problems with Docomo round here though.

On the sim companies' websites, coverage is simply given as "check the docomo website". From bloggers photos, it looks like U mobile even sells sims with the docomo logo on. It sounds like there is a special procedure to get your phone going, but presumably its the same after you're up and running. I guess you could buy a 1000 yen, max 1GB a month disposable data-only sim to try out if you want to test reception. The Gevey sim thing you use to unlock your phone is about 650 yen on Amazon.

Far be it for me to defend Apple, but when my missus got her iPhone 5, it was almost the cheapest smartphone in the au shop. She actually wanted a phone with a bigger screen like a Galaxy or the HTC one, but they would have been 20,000 more, even though such phones are cheaper when you see them on sites like Engadget. The Japanese pricing is all screwed up. I'm just pleased au didn't have a big discount on the 4S at the time, because we would have got one of them and been stuck with a little screen.

A bit more research suggests an au Iphone 5 converted to sim free will not pick up an LTE signal. Inaka is solid 3G so its not a problem for me. What is means though is that if you want to go the 3rd party sim route, its best to start with a sim-free phone, not a converted one from au or Softbank. A docomo Iphone will take a 3rd party sim without conversion and will get LTE, because most 3rd party providers use the same docomo network.

By the looks, an 16GB au Iphone 5 is worth about 22,000 in mint condition. That's quite a bit of money to get back, so selling my wife's and getting a simfree phone with a bigger screen, e.g., Nexus also appeals.

Would you really get 22000 yen, you reckon?

I had a quick look on yahoo auction and there seemed to be quite a lot going for less than that.

And I guess that pretty soon there's going to be a huge supply of them too!

Mine ( a 5, not a 5S) isn't in 'mint' condition either. While still in decent nick, a few knocks.... because I really really like nama. :evilgrin:

That amount is what came up on kakaku.

I just had a little look on aucfan, the price discovery thing for yahoo auctions, and 22,000 was the average, with some junk ones pulling it down and several going for more. That was searching for the serial number me040j, which gives you exactly the same model. If you have the box, the charger and unused headphones and put it on Yahoo Auctions with a buy it now for 25,000, I reckon someone would pay it. Someone without Applecare who's dropped theirs in the toilet. The cheapest buy it now for that model is over 35,000.

The sooner you sell the better though!

All being coy right up until tons of people continue with them.

Best rid of them I reckon. These cheaper places are worth a look especially if they are piggybacking onto the docomo network etc.

au have theirs

http://campaign2.au....e-we-tpmpr-0024

It really pisses me off how they offer so much to new people and much less to current peeps. Unless I'm misunderstanding it.

I'm buying from apple store and will make my own choices. Will just visit Docomo shops for the cuties in scarves.

Au have announced their Iphone6 price. You can order one from 4pm today.

http://campaign2.au.kddi.com/iphone/ryokin/price.html?bid=we-ipo-2014-00201

For the 16GB, its 605 yen a month (just under 15000 equiv total) after the discount for existing au peeps. Its free to new customers and folks switching from another carrier to au. The mega sized one is 500 yen more per month.

I think my missus' 24 months are up in November, so we might get one then. Apparently the number contract for U mobile is 12 months, which means you could do a year with them and, if its a bit rubbish, then bring your number back to au and be wooed as a new customer and given whatever the new flash phone is then.

That's what I'm thinking, Mr Wiggles. (That last bit).

Keen to get out of the shackles and see what life is like on the other side of them for a bit. In the end, save or not or cost more or not, unclear. But willing to give it a go. Can always go back as a new customer next year/the year after and get one of the sexy deals if this is a fail.