SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
brit-gob

Happy Birthday

It's my Mums birthday today. Happy Birthday Mum. Sorry, I'm not with you.

Sort of changing the subject, this is interesting:

"Happy Birthday" (1893). Estimated earnings: $50 million

Most people have no idea that the song you sing at every birthday party ever is copyrighted material. The song was written by a pair of sisters who were kindergarten teachers. Ownership of the song has traded hands several times over the last century. In 1990 Warner Chappell paid $15 million for the rights. Technically it's illegal to sing "Happy Birthday" in a large group of unrelated people (like an office party) without paying a royalty to the current copyright holder Warner Music Group (which is owned by a private corporate conglomerate called Access Industries). Today the song brings in $2 million a year in royalties ($5000 per day). It costs $25,000 to use the song in a movie or TV show which explains why you often see the characters sing an odd, amalgamated version on screen. This also explains why chain restaurants sing their own custom songs for a guest's birthday. The copyright for "Happy Birthday" expires in 2030 in the United States and 2016 in the European Union, at which point we can all finally sing Happy Birthday without writing a royalty check.

Happy Birthday, brit-gob's Mum.

I hope you will diligently pay Warner Music Group if you sing it in a large group of unrelated people. Keep it to family, and I presume it will jolly well be free. :thumbsup:

I did not know that.... !! Nor, did I need to know.. (edit...not you Tubby :lol: )

Thanks Buzzkill...I mean..Brit-Gob.. :wave:

:(

Better than the police coming round, arresting you and spending the rest of your life in jail...surely?!

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.