Do onsen differ wildly in different areas?

....or are they much the same?

I suspect people who are mad into them might see all the differences, but for the person who is new to them.

For example, would the onsen in Yuzawa be very different to the onsen in Nozawa? Or Zao Onsen?

Thanks!

Depends on what u mean by different.......sure they are all just baths full of hot water but for me, I always want a rotenburo (outdoor bath). The design can be all different, from sleek, modern lines to old style cedar and bamboo baths. Of course the mineral content of the water will differ in different locations

They very a lot.

Some have clear water which are gensen, others are brown and contain a lot of iron and look and look and smell like rusty iron.

Then you get some that are brown but contain radium.

There are also white sulfur onsens that smell like rotten eggs, salt onsens as well as acidic onsens.

Temps of the water can vary from a very cool 35oC to as high as 50oC.

They can be anything from really small to really big and can be found anywhere from the edge of a river to a posh hotel to the middle of a village.

They also have different healing and relaxing properties.

Ones such as radium onsens are good to help people recover and cure certain health ailments, others that have clea water that have a slippery feel to the water are good for your skin.

There are also green, red, blue, white, black, purple and yellow coloured water onsens, although quite a few of these located in Kyushu are way way to hot to actually go in, and are more as a sightseeing attraction.

There are also grey mud onsens where tje water contains a grey looking mud which you smear over your body, it is supposed to make you look more younger and make your skin tighter if used a lot.

There was a nice one I went to in Kyushu not far from Bepu that was like this.

You also have a choice of segregated or mixed onsens in some places too.

Just a brief description from an onsen feak, lol.

I must have been to like 1000 plus onsen all over Japan in the time I have been here.

Happy onsen ing.

The biggest difference I guess is that in the northern part of Japan, mixed onsens are not uncommon, but they are in the middle of Honshu. You've generally got to look for one and go out of your way if you want to go in with your missus (and other people).

I like outdoor ones and generally have to be wet or cold or something to want to pay to go in an indoor one. We have an onsen style bath at home, so I like people getting money from me to outdo that. Its like paying a restaurant for food you can make better yourself.

I'm not a massive fan of the free ones at Nozawa because most of them are too cramped. The one closest to the place we normally stay only has a tiny wooden lattice to get changed on and its right at the door with people coming in and out. No showers either, so its a case of squatting down by the bath and trying to scoop water out without disturbing someone in the bath or right next to it getting changed. An ordinary 400 yen onsen somewhere else with a changing room and showers is more relaxing.

The biggest difference I guess is that in the northern part of Japan, mixed onsens are not uncommon, but they are in the middle of Honshu. You've generally got to look for one and go out of your way if you want to go in with your missus (and other people).

I like outdoor ones and generally have to be wet or cold or something to want to pay to go in an indoor one. We have an onsen style bath at home, so I like people getting money from me to outdo that. Its like paying a restaurant for food you can make better yourself.

I'm not a massive fan of the free ones at Nozawa because most of them are too cramped. The one closest to the place we normally stay only has a tiny wooden lattice to get changed on and its right at the door with people coming in and out. No showers either, so its a case of squatting down by the bath and trying to scoop water out without disturbing someone in the bath or right next to it getting changed. An ordinary 400 yen onsen somewhere else with a changing room and showers is more relaxing.

Yes. This!

Mr. Wiggles, I found more mixed onsen down in Kyushu and up in Hokkaido than here on Honshu. I have seen kashikiri places around Hinshu proper but not many mixed onsen unfortunately.

They very a lot.

Some have clear water which are gensen, others are brown and contain a lot of iron and look and look and smell like rusty iron.

Then you get some that are brown but contain radium.

There are also white sulfur onsens that smell like rotten eggs, salt onsens as well as acidic onsens.

Temps of the water can vary from a very cool 35oC to as high as 50oC.

They can be anything from really small to really big and can be found anywhere from the edge of a river to a posh hotel to the middle of a village.

They also have different healing and relaxing properties.

Ones such as radium onsens are good to help people recover and cure certain health ailments, others that have clea water that have a slippery feel to the water are good for your skin.

There are also green, red, blue, white, black, purple and yellow coloured water onsens, although quite a few of these located in Kyushu are way way to hot to actually go in, and are more as a sightseeing attraction.

There are also grey mud onsens where tje water contains a grey looking mud which you smear over your body, it is supposed to make you look more younger and make your skin tighter if used a lot.

There was a nice one I went to in Kyushu not far from Bepu that was like this.

You also have a choice of segregated or mixed onsens in some places too.

Just a brief description from an onsen feak, lol.

I must have been to like 1000 plus onsen all over Japan in the time I have been here.

Happy onsen ing.

Great write up on onsens you should do an onsen guide I would donate

Thanks, I probably could write a guide I have enough info I have collected and experience going into them, but trying to sit down long enough and actually get my arse into gear to write a guide well that is another thing.

Dont calculate how much time you spend on these forums then :friend: you would be amazed what you could achieve

I have been thinking about writing a small book on how too catch crayfish(lobster) for years now and haven't go around to it