First snow on the mountains snow watch autumn 2014

Ok it is that time where we all start to get excited when the first snow of the new season is spotted so thought I would make a thread for it.

Amazingly enough I can see Fuji san today the first time in what seems like months.

And with the feeezing level next week going doing to or below the peak of Fuji any percipitation could well be snow up there.

So lets posting pics of the first snow on any mountains that are blessed with the white stuff!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hiked Teine today and got incredible views all the way up to Asahidake and the rest of Daisetsuzan. Also could see the summit of Yotei.   Daisetsuzan range with the city in the foreground   Clos

This is Ashibetsu-dake, just to the south west of Furano. Taken this afternoon  

Beautiful day here today, so beautiful views of the mountains after the snowfall earlier in the week         Classic Japan, power lines in the way!

I think around 15-20th Sep is kind of average, but recent few years has been early with two years ago getting snow on the 9th.

If any thing fall from the sky later this week then Fuji is likely to get some snow.

Talking of snow as we had a rare sunny day where the mountains were also clearly visible I was surprised to see patches of snow still left over from last winter, it should be snow free from around end of July or early Aug until sometime in late September, but no there were patches of snow left up there.

That by the way is not a lie, or and exaggeration as true as I sit here I saw patches of snow up there.

So it is quite possible that those mountains could receive new snow before all of last years melted.

Never seen that before for those mountains. Maybe a combination of the crazy amounts of snow the mountains at that altitude received and the cool summer we had.

Well I have to say this is the earliest I've gone back to long sleeve dress shirts since I arrived in 2010. Wouldn't be surprising if some white fluffy action isn't happening somewhere.