Has anyone got any recommendations about roof boxes to stick on top of the car? I see plenty of skiing folks with them. Anything in particular to look for? Its to go on a big people carrier called an Alphard.

I want something to carry camping/sleep-in-the-car gear as well, so I'm not so interested in just a ski/board carrier.

I'll be buying s/h but in a shop this time because they are oversized and the postage on them is killer.

@gg all car roofs have ridges but are normally covered by a plastic strip you just remove that and then you clip your roof rack rails to that. After that then you can attach roof boxes etc to them.

Any car can hold a roof rack.

Mr.Wiggles I have no idea which one is good.

All I can recommend is look at some onlnei forums or go and ask around some shops that sell them.

Although I have used roofracks in the past I have never used a roof box.

I spent a lot of time last year researching roof boxes, hours looking at websites and brochures. In the end went for the cheapest :-)

I've got an Inno (BR33BK) one. Only opens on one side, one of the reasons it's cheaper than the others. The opening isn't that big, so really large items won't fit in. When using it I put light weight stuff in it and keep the heavy stuff for the car.

My car has aero bars on it so we had to spend extra to get different attaching clips. Except for the really expensive ones most boxes are designed to go on square bars.

I had a roof box on my camper van. It was BIG and held a lot of gear. After that I've had several racks. I much prefer the racks as you can pack it up with various sized boxes, drybags and so on. That said, a typical rack is going to look like ass on an Alphard. Except......the new Thule 821 Expedition basket would look awesome.

IMG_1812.jpg

758191e0.jpg

My80_zps36619ac2.jpg

lexus-gx-suv-thule-821-xpedition-basket-2.jpg

Thanks for the comments fellas!

The "official" roof rack positions on the older model Alphards are 70cm apart. Assuming the racks are in the same place in the pictured newer model, that box doesn't look like one of the bigger ones that go up to 250 in length. Its cool that it matches the car though. Very chic.

For gg's question, basically the box gets bolted onto two bars spanning the roof. Japanese call this a "base carrier" and its sold as bars, legs of a certain height that hold the bars, and hooks that are specific to the body work shape and hold the legs. The legs and bars should work on most cars, with only the hooks being different. The boxes are made by mainly by three companies, Thule, Inno, and Terzo. The first two use the same size roof bars, while Terzo's are about a millimeter smaller but there's probably scope for bodging something.

Roof racks are cool too and will fit on the same bars, so I might get one later!

I remember seeing photos of my parents holidays many years ago with suitcases attached to the car roof.

:lol:

Don't see that anymore.

Sorry, of topic!

My family used to do that. I can remember it from when I was a kid.

This is what my old man used to drive. A green Vauxhall Cavalier. The shape is a bit more Starsky and Hutch than I remember.

vauxhall cavalier main.gif

Its not as cool as the real one, but the spirit of the 70s is still there in full effect!

Here's the theme, which is pretty fun to play. I never knew it was by Tom Scott.

Tom Scott is possibly best known now for the big sax sample on that "they reminisce over you" hip hop tune by Pete Rock.

http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/gotcha-theme-from-starsky-hutch-b-flat-lead-sheet-p355608.aspx

I used to watch Starsky and Hutch all the time but it was one of the 70's shows that DIDN'T have a really catchy theme song. Name any 70's show and I could probably sing or at least hum the melody. S&H...not so much.

When I was in Japan I had an Inno roof box for my CRV. Picked it up at up-garage. Swing by one and let them know what you are looking for, they can check other stores if none are in stock. Freed up so much space in the car, so nice!

Yeah, Up garage is the one I've been looking at, via that website crooooba? or however you spell it.

Their stores are spread out around here, so I'll have to give them a ring and see what the score is about getting one from another branch. It would be great if that's a goer.

Hey Tkl,

I ordered one myself earlier today, off that Crooomba website. A Thule one that holds 450L in there, so that should take care of the beer! It's 230cm by 70cm by 40cm, but the postage from Nagoya is under 5000 yen, so nice one Up Garage! They must have a special deal with the delivery people. With Kuroneko, something that big will get you onto their furniture delivery service which costs much more.