Hi :wave:

Never been to Japan, but planning on a trip.

Great to find this website, it's easily the best info. Been reading up on places and I like the idea of the Yuzawa area in Niigata Prefecture. Sounds like there's lots of ski hills around the town and just slightly further out as well. You could spend 2 weeks and go to a different place each day.

Am I right? I know some of them are small, but that sounds decent to me. I actually prefer places that are more compact than spread out over huge areas, as long as the snow is good and there's a decent variation of terrain.

Onsen sound good too.

It is a fine area.

There's 10+ places in Yuzawa itself, a handful just to the north in Minamiuonuma, then you have Minakami just to the south.

You can do many of those by shuttle bus, but if you have a car it is really great.

Yes Yuzawa is nice and dows have plenty of ski hills from small to big and with plenty of terrain variation.

Like Maru said if you have a car then real easy to visit a different place everyday.

Actually, Tubby, how busy was Tenjin on a Saturday?

Not very.......but the snow maybe had something to do with it. It hadn't had fresh snow for a few days and was a bit crusty. Most people were hiking off the back

• 2 weeks later...

Its nice. What ive seen of it anyway. The bits i didnt see were skier only, or small hills i believe (or hills with a random policy to shut down the best parts of the mountain).

For me, and im not proselytizing here, but yuzawa area comes a distant second to Iiyama if i was seriously picking a place to move around from. Actually maybe not. The transport is way better in yuzawa. Its actually a doddle picking your resort, getting on a shuttlebus and then coming home once youre done. not so, illyama. Well, info is current as of March 2013.

If you had a car though, id pick iiyama for the resorts. Nozawa, Madarao, Ryuoo, Kosha, and Togari beat Kagura, Naeba, Naspa, Gala, and er, i forget everything else.

You could even throw Myoko and Shiga koge into that iiyama pot. Its genuinely top quality for me.

Theres also the Hakuba area (goryu/47, happo, Iwatake, Cortina, and that other one i forget).

Theres also the snow monkey japanese ski experience in Yamanouchi (kosha and shiga kogen along with Snow monkeys, hokkusai museum in obuse, onsen, and nakano).

Theres also the Zao thing But i forget what that is. Actually we need more of these base areas. Its really fun. Wheres metabo to fill us in on the fukushima options? And Zao to fill us in on the zao options and er, someone anywhere else to tell us about the rest of honshu. Im sure theres an area in the south nagano/north Gifu bit too.

Wheres metabo to fill us in on the fukushima options? And Zao to fill us in on the zao options

I'm always happy to extoll the virtues of Fukushima options (or even Zao, for that matter), but Sez asked about Yuzawa.

Which is also good -- and closer to Mt. Granview, of course.

• 3 weeks later...