Another of those computer problem threads!

My old laptop has some stuff on it I kind of need, but recently when I turn it on it...kind of goes mad.

Things open on their own, multiple windows open.

Mouse is super sensitive.

It's just unusable.

I didn't have any virus or anything on it right up until this happened.

I just can't work out what is going on.

Anyone any ideas how I might calm it down enough for me to just retrieve a few things I need on it....

oo, I had something like this (I think) once.

The problem with mine was the touchpad. It suddenly seemed to go supersensitive and made the computer unusable, as you mentioned.

If you go Mouse settings you might be able to turn that off. If you have one that is.

Anyway it worked for me!

My laptop has the click of death and is now unusable……….after me saying about "I don't need to back stuff up!" in the other thread, I've kinda realized that I do….or did!! :doh:

All my silly files that I used for work, that I didn't really think were important, turned out they were and I use em much more than I thought…..bugger! :(

My laptop has the click of death and is now unusable……….after me saying about "I don't need to back stuff up!" in the other thread, I've kinda realized that I do….or did!! :doh:

All my silly files that I used for work, that I didn't really think were important, turned out they were and I use em much more than I thought…..bugger! :(

Tubby, if the laptop won't work and you need the data, the best option is to remove the hard drive. Once removed go to the local computer store and get a cradle/housing for it. Turns the hard drive into a large external USB drive. You can then plug it into another computer and get your data off.

• Like 1

No need for all that hassle of removing the HDD, just reboot your computer in 'safe mode' and you should be able to use the computer as normal but it will be very basic the icons will be bigger stuff like that a lot of software will not work but you will be able to access all your files, data, photos, etc and simply transfer or copy them to an external drive.

When you reboot it next time just reboot as normal.

You may even find booting it in safe mode once shutting it down then reboot it as normal can sometimes reset the operating files and make it usuable again.

But anyway top priority boot up in safe mode so you can access and back up all your data, then you can mess about with the comp afterwards.

When your hard disk is making a loud clicking noise, due to the reader arm bashing against the side of the casing in an attempt to find some readable data....or something like that.

Snowdude.....wot is safe mode and how do u reboot it in safe mode? :D

F8 for most. Push it repeatedly after you press the power button then a new menu will pop up. Select safe mode, dont worry about safe mode plus network.

It could be F10 or F12 depends on the computer.

Mine is F8.

Just try F8,

If that dont work shut down and then try F10 and F12.

Safe mode is a mode were the computer only loads the basic windows drivers enough to run the computer.

So even if your windows is totally screwed it will normally still allow the computer to run albeit with limited functionality.

Thanks guys…….am doing this now and seems to be working ok…..except the screen looks like its been magnified for someone who is visually impaired!! :lol: Could be good for drunk browsing!!

I've managed to switch over my work files at least to my Mrs iMac……until I get an external drive to take my music and films etc off, this will do.

Glad it worked for you.

Yes like I said all the icons and screen os bigger, because only some drivers are loaded.

Once you get everything backed up safely you xan try to do a file recovery which should reinstal just the operating files and with a bit of luck your comp will be fine again and all data will be as is, but any screen settings etc will be reset.

If that doesnt work then a full reinstal will most likely be required.

Once you are happy you have all data, files, pics and music backed up if you wish I can tell you how to go about doing that.

Thanks guys…….am doing this now and seems to be working ok…..except the screen looks like its been magnified for someone who is visually impaired!! :lol: Could be good for drunk browsing!!

I've managed to switch over my work files at least to my Mrs iMac……until I get an external drive to take my music and films etc off, this will do.

If you have some large 64 or 128gb micro or sd cards or sticks you can back up your music to those if you dont have too much then you will have them safe until you get an external drive.

My laptop freaked out recently.

I bought a USB keyboard for it and that fixed it.

Could hardly believe it, 700 yen for a Elecom keyboard and it's fairly decent too. Free delivery. How on earth can they make cash at that price?!

I just had a weird problem in windows. You can recreate it easy enough by pressing ctrl-alt and the left arrow.

I didn't know what the hell I'd done, and had to do some well weird mousing to get into my browser and google the remedy, which I found on the first hit. You fix it with ctrl-alt and the up arrow.

Lots of potential hijinx if your office has a Gareth in it! :D

When working on a help desk I had a few calls about this. There's always someone who thinks it's funny. Usually is if they hang around and change it back shortly afterwards. Wasn't so funny when they did it to a couple of PCs then disappeared. Although it did help my stats on jobs solved.

Pay is pretty bad for first level help desk, ie the guys who answer the phone. At a lot of out sourced help desks if you can read a script off a computer screen you get the job.

The 2nd and 3rd level guys can make a bit, but to get there you have to know what you are doing, so you get paid accordingly.