This autumn I want to go somewhere I haven't been yet for some fab autumn photo taking.

I did Nikko the other year, and of course done lots around Niigata.

Any good recommendations?

Not just 'normal' beautiful, most mountain areas look pretty when the colors turn - but I have plenty of that on my doorstep.

Interested in something special. Particularly from Gifu in the south to Yamagata in the north kind of area.

あるかな

Good question.

And here's another. Will the huge amount of rain affect the colours this year? No idea how it all works, so..

I dont think it'll affect the colours unless its raining hard and strips the leaves from the trees quicker than they'd naturally fall.

I was very impressed by the colours around Sapporo last autumn......so i suppose there'd be some really nice places round hokkaido in the countryside

I vaguely remember something about a hot day, cold night combination being best for colours, but it might be rubbish.

I've only seen photos, but Ontake looks like it has a large area of rowan trees (nanakamado) up near the alpine. They go bright red and are well spectacular. I like photos with big swathes of colour more than individual trees.

Good question.

And here's another. Will the huge amount of rain affect the colours this year? No idea how it all works, so..

I dont think it'll affect the colours unless its raining hard and strips the leaves from the trees quicker than they'd naturally fall.

I was very impressed by the colours around Sapporo last autumn......so i suppose there'd be some really nice places round hokkaido in the countryside

I'd recommend heading up to Daisetsuzan NP in mid to late Sept Tubby. Head up to Asahidake and you'll see great colour and possibly some of the first dustings of snow on the peak. Beautiful region.

As much as colder weather a lot of cloudy weather will also speed up leaves changing colour. An early hard frost will shorten the length of time that the leaves will be able to produce colours.

Cool nights and warm sunny days will produce the best colours.

As for places there are just so many.

I like not only the mountains when they change colour and snow on the peaks but temples surrounded by trees or a lake such Yamanakako here in Yamanashi which looks great with the autumn colours reflecting in the lake.

Kinkakuji in Kyoto looks very nice with autumn folidge as a back drop.

I vaguely remember something about a hot day, cold night combination being best for colours, but it might be rubbish.

I've only seen photos, but Ontake looks like it has a large area of rowan trees (nanakamado) up near the alpine. They go bright red and are well spectacular. I like photos with big swathes of colour more than individual trees.

I like that idea. Somewhere over Nagano/Gifu kind of way.

:)

You don't need to!

I know what a momiji looks like in full autumn colours.

Presumably that means that the full autumn colours ends earlier for you then.

It's getting October before we have them here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not looking like good autumn colours this year for this area.

We have some trees that were in full autumn colours a couple of weeks ago now shedding leaves, some trees have simply gone brown and are starting to look bare others are kind of a darkish greeny brown and not colourful looking at all.

The mountains are starting to colour, although the top areas are already brown.

Will see how the koyo goes this year but at the moment looks like it will be patchy rather than full on colours.