OK so I can see that they may be useful when there's a choice, but in the WHSmiths at Manchester Airport for example, there are now absolutely NO tills and you have no choice but to fanny about with the self-service machines.

And of course, it seems that the majority of people have at least one issue with them and don't know what to do. And of course, one was broken. :doh:

It was funny, there were 2 ladies there jumping from one person to the next answering the same questions while frustrated airport users continued faffing about with the machines... the ladies were in a bad mood as well actually and obviously fed up with the same old questions. And it was only 9:30am. (Previously the very possibly same two ladies were on the counter doing it the old fashioned way).

But seriously...

There's some at my local Seiyu and they wind me up no ****ing end. I mean, the store uses some special labels for discounted goods, so you have to call some people over to put through the various discounted goods through.

Well, at Manchester Airport WHSmiths, there were 2 ladies there previously on the tills last year - now, there are two ladies just going round the self-service machines helping frustrated people.

:doh:

Makes it even worse when it asks for your boarding card. While I was there about half the people didn't have it with them, and so the assistants had to do some scan thing to approve the order. All very silly it seemed.

Would be interesting to see how it all works out in general.

I suppose they must be overall beneficial for them to keep on appearing.

I'd prefer friendly robots myself.

Wonder how much "nicking stuff" goes on related to these. Suppose they have cameras checking everything that's being done. But that'll need people to check won't it?