STUDENTS getting exam results have been reassured that even if they did less well than hoped, the whole thing is a load of bollocks.

Senior lecturer Tom Booker said: “It all seems like a big deal, especially if you’ve got aspirational middle class parents on your case.

“But whether you get into a good university or not, you aren’t going to learn very much. It’s just as pointless as school.

“The entire sum of human knowledge is on the internet anyway, if you’re really that interested.”

Booker confirmed that the main point of getting a degree was so that potential employers do not chuck your CV straight in the bin.

“But you can always lie about that stuff, it’s not like they’re going to check.”

Exam results in UK including a relative.

Are they worth it though? I think uni was in the end all about the experience and having the piece of paper, and what it said on it wasn't particularly important.

And with the cost of going to uni in the UK pretty mad these days...

With arts degrees, it doesn't really matter what it says. I think it might be different for the sciences.

Lots of kids stay at home now and go to the local university to cut costs, so the "experience" will be less but the piece of paper will cost much more.

For actual studies, more and more people will end up doing online courses. They can be run for a fraction of the cost.

STUDENTS getting exam results have been reassured that even if they did less well than hoped, the whole thing is a load of bollocks.

Senior lecturer Tom Booker said: “It all seems like a big deal, especially if you’ve got aspirational middle class parents on your case.

“But whether you get into a good university or not, you aren’t going to learn very much. It’s just as pointless as school.

“The entire sum of human knowledge is on the internet anyway, if you’re really that interested.”

Booker confirmed that the main point of getting a degree was so that potential employers do not chuck your CV straight in the bin.

“But you can always lie about that stuff, it’s not like they’re going to check.”

Exam results in UK including a relative.

Are they worth it though? I think uni was in the end all about the experience and having the piece of paper, and what it said on it wasn't particularly important.

And with the cost of going to uni in the UK pretty mad these days...

Until someone actually checks the stuff you're doing and finds that it's illegal/unsafe. One case over here of a bloke who stole a degree from a mate, and proceeded to use that as an entree to various engineering jobs, including designs and verification of builds on a Coal Handling plant. He's in jail, and the coal co is red faced!

With arts degrees, it doesn't really matter what it says. I think it might be different for the sciences.

Lots of kids stay at home now and go to the local university to cut costs, so the "experience" will be less but the piece of paper will cost much more.

For actual studies, more and more people will end up doing online courses. They can be run for a fraction of the cost.

Not true....I have a BSc in Psychology and a fat lot of good its done me :)

Uni has been incredibly important to me. In fact its been the defining act of my life thus far.

Like Tubby though its done **** all for me in relation to my subject (philosophy).

But lets see:

As a high school drop out, i left school at 16. Bounced around enjoying my dole check for a few years. Dropped out of a BTEC in Music Technology twice, started hanging out with a bunch of space cadet upper middle class oiks dossing in Newcastle (yes, im a class-conscious prole!), ended up moving in with them. Raved like a bastard for three years! Loved the surrogate uni life and realised id sorta missed the boat on something. Around the same time, found the last days of Socrates at their house and tried to read it. Could sort of understand it, but also sorta couldnt explain it. Got really annoyed in a phone call to a mate because i couldnt explain this amazing thing id learned and felt stupid. Vowed there and then that **** HIM!!! Im going to learn philosophy and shove it in his fat ****ing face!

So did my a-levels (was around 22-24) at Newcastle College. Somehow stuck through the courses this time (maths, philosophy and govt and politics). went to Leeds uni exactly the year they phased out the student grant (boooo! 1999), ****ING LOATHED it. (Also, no Wittgenstein in third year? What the **** is this?) Left for a real university at Sussex uni. Started from year 1 because... why not! Uni's awesome! Loved it. Dragged my two best mates from Newcastle down. They loved it too. Fell in love with a Japanese girl and saw her for 4 years. Became a postie the year after graduation whilst trying to figure out a way to Japan. Flunked a nova interview! But loved the floor plans of Japanese LDKs, it seriously blew my mind. Came to visit her for a few weeks, accidentally fell in love with her best mate (unrequited of course). Then vowed to return to make her mine (unrequited of course). Loved the chilled vibe and peace of the country Somehow got into the JET programme in 2005 and have been teaching ever since.

Best debt i ever ended up never paying back! Thank god for never meeting the threshold and living just above the UK poverty line (whilst tax free, and low overheads). I might even upgrade to an M.ed in a few years just to ride this gravy train to the very end. Despite last year being a ****ing dreadful one, i learned two very important things: 1. China has jobs out the whazoo. Youll always find work in China until your mid 50s (the cut off). I now have a years experience here as well, that'll get my feet in the door no problems! 2. Thailand is a great place to just die. And if Thailand doesnt work by then and they stop employing geriatric 'teachers', supplementing their 30 year old wife and her four kids from her actual boyfriend/husband while you live in blissful ignorance, Cambodia is a great place to disappear from everything. This industry is VAST.

So thanks degree for a life of punching far beyond my weight and giving me what i always wanted: to do and achieve absolutely nothing. I might as well still be on the dole! (:

Plus i really got to grips with some Levinas, and lots of Wittgenstein... and i dont care if thats irrelevant to 'the real world', the Situationist International made my life pure joy! I fell in love with life through theoretical post-marxian philosophy. I pity those fools who went to uni and studied something so theyd be rich. I pity them! (And want their money so i can do even less of course).

Thanks 'worthless' piece of paper!

:lol:

haha….top notch Ippy!! Being fair, the one thing that my degree allowed me to do was come to Japan….where I met my lovely wife, so I guess it HAS been life changing for me, just not really in the expected way.

For me Uni was worth it as it helped me here in Japan as much as the UK.

I made lots of friends at Uni who like me had big motorbikes were like me petrol heads. That is how I got into racing bikes and go carts.

Parties were also a lot of fun.

Another great Ippy story!

If Newcastle College is the old CAT, my brother went there when he was 19. He left school at 16 and started an apprenticeship at the same place as my old man, but liked it even less than school. I think he ended up doing wacky A levels like Sociology and Politics that most sixth forms won't touch. Whatever they were, they got him off to Glasgow, just in time for City of Culture year where all the bars and clubs had 4am licences. Newcastle was still 10.30 last orders in the pubs.

When their time comes, I doubt my folks have enough for me to have to pay inheritance tax, but I won't begrudge it if I do because I had a great time at college on the British taxpayer. It completely changed my life. Maybe the whole thing was a subsidized rite of passage for (mostly) middle class kids - only 1 in 6 went back in the mid 1980s - but it was still wicked. It's a sad turn of events if young uns can't afford to do it now and are stuck living at home. I bet there are loads of working young uns even who can't afford their own place. Whatever it is, it's certainly not "progress".

Not true....I have a BSc in Psychology and a fat lot of good its done me :)

Can you give us an Ippy length critique of The Century Of Self? ;)

I've watched several times and its one of my favourite documentaries.

I studied the "dismal science" myself, but came out with a BA.

I am a ****ing boss! This was nova at the time when you literally had to have a pulse to score the gig (and when they were charging pie in the sky idiots 60,000/month in rent to stay in one of their apartments with some random dude youd never met in you life before). Ah,pre scandal nova! how i could have done with thee at least once.

Interac im putting entirely down to desperation creeping through every pore of my skin in those last two weeks in Japan.

By not paying their teachers n staff for 3 months, trying to cover their financial follies by using teachers rent money thus not paying the actual rent meaning large swathes of Nova teachers were being served with eviction notices, then finally when all was lost the large rats abandoned ship leaving mostly middle management staff to deal with the collapse into receivership. It was then sold off piecemeal, whereby a Nagoya company bought the naming rights for a select number of schools and relaunched the company. A few other franchises have popped up using the Nova brand