I know we had the daily bath thread but this is a bit different.

UK. Bathrooms and baths. It's like a constant really bad fail. Even 'posh' modern ones.

From the ridiculous idea of grubby carpets in the bathroom (old fashioned ones anyway); showers that don't work well; showers that are fixed in one position; water going everywhere it shouldn't meaning you can't have a good splash about.... why can't a country apparently get a bath right? :confused:

Perhaps people just don't know any different and expectations are lower.

Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

How about other countries?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK bathrooms are almost all ridiculously bad, I can hardly believe it.

The '5 star' self catering place we just stayed in had a 'posh' bathroom to go with all the other poshness. Lovely place, and it looked ever so modern.....but absolutely impractical bath stuff.

One big problem I reckon - amongst the many problems! - is the toilet included in the same room and sometimes/often almost touching the bath. Kimochi warui, as 'they' say.

Britain's are crap. My folks have a sorry dribble of an electric shower and a carpet. Given how fast a UK kettle can boil a large amount of water, its surprising how piss poor the showers are.

The other new one in the UK is having three or four crap bathrooms in a house in the form of ensuites. Often the result is three or four tiny bedrooms with no storage.

Come to think of it, Japan may indeed do bathing better than anyone else. No water shortages, geographically blessed with hot springs, established social manners, not freaked by nudity and communal bathing, all those kind of reasons. I'm not into the older deep but cube-like baths though. I like to stretch my legs.

Thing is, people back home don't realise how crap the baths are.

A difficult line you can't just go dissing things without them thinking you're being naughty.

Like someone said even the 'posh' modern things are often poor in terms of functionality.

In Aus people are spending big on bathrooms these days and there are some spectacular ones about. Supposedly according to HIA (housing industry association) the average spend on bathrooms in Aus these days is $27,000.

If they're as impressive as the 'spectacular' ones in the UK, they are probably posh-looking, way overpriced, somewhat-to-very impractical and generally really quite rubbish. Spectacularly rubbish, you might say.

I think the UK bath manufacturers and other countries for that matter should visit Japan and see how the bathing system works to get some ideas of how to make a proper bath system.

I dont think its all that great. I have only ever had those shitty cube baths, and the showers have been ok but not exactly cream my pants over its power material. One thing I do like tho is the gizmo that fills the bath, sets its temperature and keeps it at that temp.....thats cool!

Yeah definitely Japan has bathing down to a fine art I do like my baths though

This is my new one

22062_large_800px_800px_2014Apr24115005.jpg

Nice!!

It must be at least a month since I've showed mine... :wave:

It's starting to take on a nice patina with 30 years of mineral deposits. All that rock (much more than in the picture) though has caused the house to settle in that corner and it's getting worse.. :shifty:

IMG_7673.jpg

A mate of mine who owns a little lodge in Niseko put in an onsen bath last season and it was very, very nice.

And some of the bathrooms in The Vale are pretty nice

the-vale-niseko-1727.jpg

I don't know the details of that one of course but...

Looks suitably posh and expensive and 'bubbly', but is it anything more than a tub, and is it practical etc?