I've been looking at options for some slackcountry/ easy backcountry in early Feb (7th-). Some of the reviews of the terrain accessed from the number 5 romance lift (the top lift) sounded very appealing. The in bounds sounds a little mellow but as it's the start of the trip I'm sure we'll enjoy a warm up run or three. But looking further it seems that lift (also called Kagura Pair Lift No. 5) is not actually open in early Feb. Was this the case this year? If it is the case is there anything there to appeal to a crew that likes the getting into the trees and some easy back country (on snowboards so prefer to ride out but carry full avi gear and snowshoes).

Hmmm that links not much help. I'll have to go through each day report and hope that it mentions something about that lift opening in the comments. Spend 20 minutes on it and haven't found a mention. Anyone else?

Been there in Mid-Late Feb and there was plenty to play in off the runs. I ended up having to commando crawl out of some deeper stuff, because I followed a snowbunny who floated over the powder, but my heavier figure sunk down. Quite a few cat-tracks and trees to muck around in, that aren't too far from the runs.

Been there in Mid-Late Feb and there was plenty to play in off the runs. I ended up having to commando crawl out of some deeper stuff, because I followed a snowbunny who floated over the powder, but my heavier figure sunk down. Quite a few cat-tracks and trees to muck around in, that aren't too far from the runs.

Been caught out this way myself at Kagura

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely worth it, and even if it's not open, it's not too long of a climb from the top of the Pair Lift No. 3 to the top of Pair Lift No.5, and there will be even fewer people along with you. I've even considered skinning it when that top lift is open and busy; anything is preferable to waiting.

Not to hijack the thread (by which I mean I'm absolutely hijacking the thread) but does anyone have any advice on skiing to the right or left of the Gondola trail? I've always returned to the piste above the top Gondola station, but I have seen people dropping off to the right of the Giant course. Considering the Gondola trail is so flat, and there is a river down to the right, I don't want to risk it and get stuck trekking out.

Alternately, is it worth following the ridgeline skiers left of the top lift, which looks to end at the bottom gondola station? I'm going to give that a go anyway, but it's always good to know beforehand if you'll spend more time climbing out of a valley than skiing.

I haven't been away out on that yummy looking ridge where the heli-ski takes you, but I've been away thru the trees skiers left under the lift and over the ridge (I guess its best described) that takes you down a great open glade and spits you out above the gondola (this may well be the area you are saying you do anyway). Anything past the gondola looks a bit hairy in the small patches that I've looked at on the lift up. Be interesting to hear if you coukd keep going past the top gondola station and end up at or near the bottom station.