So, Yesterday our off-road group was wheeling up in the mountains. There were about 15 trucks...some Cruisers, Jeeps and a bunch of Jimny's. Everyone in the group is experienced but there were a few newbies. The course was extremely technical and steep and all the Jimny's because of their short wheelbase had some trouble...... lots of carnage actually.

Anyway, one of the new guys in a Jimny ended up dumping his truck over onto the passenger side. The fall was quite violent breaking the window and crushing the door ..BUT as the car fell, he fell into the passenger side and his hand got caught between the door sill and the rock wall he landed on AND slashed a huge 8~9 cms deep gash on his wrist from the glass. Well, I was standing right next to him taking video so I threw my camera down and climbed over the cab to help him out and by this time the blood was-a-flowin...!! About like when my daughter leaves the faucet dribbling after brushing her teeth. :angry: His fingers were still there and looked ok but we had to get the blood flow under control.... So, we took some bungee rope and a stick and put it around his bicep and got it to slow down. Meanwhile others were trying to get a phone signal and guess what.....SOFTBANK came through. I take back everything I've ever said about Softbank.

We took him to the base and an ambulance made it up there and took him away. A few members went along and apparently he suffered a few badly busted fingers and lots of stitches but otherwise ok.

I hate blood...!! So during this whole ordeal it was all I could do not to puke and pass out. I didn't say anything but man,,it was so hard to stay conscious. I need to really look into why some people like me can't handle the sight of injuries. It's one of the things I really feel I MUST get over. Anyway, just curious how you folks handle it.

Not trying to be big headed oe act all tuff but blood and injueies dont bother me at all, I dont know why but they dont.

I crushed my foot many years ago so badly that the bones were actually sticking out of the bottom of my foot and blood was going everywhere but that didnt bother me. I was watching the doctors as they frantically tried to stop the bleeding.

I have seen crushed bodies from a car accident and people who have been shot dead also it didnt bother me.

But the sight and smell of puke will soon have me puking.

Ya see....that's what I'm talking about. I don't think its a macho thing or tuff thing at all. I'm a fairly tough guy but the sight of blood, only from an injury mind you...just floors me. Weird huh...?

In general I'm okay with blood, but puke is another thing entirely. I just have to hear someone throwing up and I want to as well.

Chriselle, while wanting to pass out at the sight of blood isn't the best thing, what does seem to be important is that you were able to choke down the felling and help out when needed.

On Animals I AM AOK!! I worked as a vet nurse and wildlife officer for years dealing with every sort of emergency or illness. BUT PEOPLE not so good. In an emergency I can do what has to be done but then get faint afterwards. OH and Oh My God if a kid wiggles it's tooth I will almost immediately pass out.

As for myself if I injury myself I RUN AND HIDE!!!! I smashed my foot 18 months ago and ran (hobbled) and hide. My husband followed the blood trail to find me. Severed a vein and totally smashed the foot but assured him I didn't need to go to the hospital I would be fine, I will just have a shower and could you please get me a wine!!!!! My husband always gauges the severity of the injury on where I hide or how quick I hide!!

I am such a wuss!!! :lol:

I think Snowhuntress was a cat in a former lifetime. Run and hide is what the kitties do when injured.

I have no problem at all with animal blood, either...

I think I'm probably okay with the sight of blood and guts. The clinic where my missus had the kids were well into participation so I got right in on the action. I cut the cord on all three of them and the midwives seemed keen on me checking out the afterbirth. The placenta and fair bit of blood sitting there in a bowl.

Smells, such as puke, can start me off though. I love soups, but the smell of boiling chicken bones gets to me too. The same with some kinds of fish.

This is all really interesting for me because back in University I worked as tutor for the 1st and 2nd year nursing school students helping them with biochem and genetics. During that summer I worked for a nursing prof making polycarbonate acrylic cases for displaying human body parts. So, I ended up slicing up both healthy and various necrotic versions of organ parts and fixing them in formalin. NEVER had a problem with any of that....in fact, it was pretty cool.

Conversely, if the prof had cut his finger on the table saw cutting the boxes I would have passed out. :confused:

I too cut the cord and watched the whole birth process and I washed our baby.

Dont think you can do this in a hospital in Japan, which is why we decidex to go private and have the birth at a midwifes clinic.

I was even allowed to stay there too.

It was a pretty amazing experience actually.

Blimey was that in Japan?

Didn't think they were into the participation at birth thing.

Do they use scissors?

Yeah, some medical looking scissors that weren't very sharp, so there was a bit of hacking involved.

In general, many general hospitals in Japan won't let the father in the delivery room at all or will at least have a glass screen. Our kids were born at a maternity clinic, which on the whole is a much better experience. They are places for mothers, not sick people of both sexes and all ages like a hospital. Among maternity clinics, the amount of participation and services varies, and I doubt many places with let you hold your missus' leg up in the air when the kid is coming out. I was a great experience, so I'm pleased I got to see it up close. Me and kids were also able to stay at the clinic, but that's because we got the deluxe room which cost extra.

In the big cities, it sounds like some maternity clinics hire chefs and beauticians and aim for a hotel-like experience.

If your missus has a difficult medical history, I think you'd want to have the kid in a hospital because a maternity clinic won't have the same level of equipment. Their fallback is to call an ambulance if something major happens.

We had our daughter in a hospital in Sapporo and it was a good experience. Our obstetrician had been trained in the US and had pretty good English. They also had an anesthetist who was qualified to do an epidural (and spoke English) which I understand is pretty rare in Japan. I was encouraged to be in the delivery room. My wife was in labour for almost 24 hours and the midwives were fantastic with their support. Don't think it would have been any easier having her back in Australia and they certainly allow the mother to stay in hospital longer after the birth in Japan.