The other issue is who will be paying. For the competitors, their flights, transfers, accom and all the assorted officials.

I wouldn't be surprised if Naeba and the local government are paying for a fair chunk of it. Money that won't be covered by ticket sales or tv rights.

I think on the news last night it said 41 years.

(And 8 years for Japan?)

that long?! I was sure that when I first went to Naeba back in 2002 that they had said they'd hosted the World cup not that long before....late 90's for some reason is the time that I keep recalling.......oh well, perhaps some marketing speak being a little economical with the truth

If it's the World Cup it might only be a couple of events - ie. there may not be a Downhill. The World Cup is the season-long competition held at numerous resorts throughout each season with the highest point scorers being crowned World Cup Winners in each discipline and some combined events. It is the equivalent of a football "League Championship".

The World Championships, on the other hand, are a biennial one-off event not unlike a football "Cup" competition. The next Alpine World Championships will take place in Vail/Beaver Creek in February 2015.

Why skiing and football use "cup" and "championship" with opposite meanings to each other is beyond me....but I've come to live with it over the years!!

全日本スキー連盟(SAJ)は15日、2016年2月に国内で開催するアルペンスキーのワールドカップ(W杯)の会場として、湯沢町の苗場スキー場に決定したと発表した。県内での開催は41年ぶり。

同日午後、SAJから田村正幸町長に電話で決定が報告された。田村町長は「正式に決まりほっとしている。スキー産業は低迷しているが、“スキーの町湯沢”として大会を盛り上げたい」と話している。

アルペンスキーW杯は、国際スキー連盟が世界各地で開催する世界最高峰の大会で、同スキー場では1973年と75年に開かれている。2016年の2月13、14日に男子回転と男子大回転が行われる。8月11日に大会実行委が発足し、同町出身の元五輪代表、皆川賢太郎さんも委員になる予定。

World Cup

Those skiers are probably going to be taking an extra day or two to check out Mt Granview.

The event might not be there, but the soaring peaks of Mt Granview are within reach if they come this far.

:thumbsup: