First time to Japan for skiing and quite new to skiing

Hi All I'm hoping I can get some advice on the below My wife and I have heading over to Japan for a skiing holiday, we are both really looking forward to it.

I have not skied in a long time and my wife doesn't know how to ski, so she will lean.

Are we able to hire all the ski equipment and ski clothing,bottoms (Pants) and jacket, helmet, when up in the ski resorts? Is there any equipment and ski clothing which can't be hired and we need to bring up?

We are undecided on if to go to Nozawa Onsen or Shiga Kogen or Hakuba. Which ski resort has good beginners and intermediate runs to explore. Also my wife would like to do other activities than ski, which resorts has the most non skiing activities to do during the day and which resort has the best night light? Pubs, bars and food places? Cheers Travis

Welcome Travis.

Well pretty much any resort you go to you can hire everything you need without any problem and especially the resorts you listed will be no problem.

Size may be a problem, although most big resorts to cater for us bigger gaijin. If you have big feet, getting boots may be difficult. Up to about 29cm size 10/11 should be no problem.

Bigger than that the choice will be more limited.

I have been to Hakuba, and that has a variation of courses from beginner up to advanced with a nice long windy but flat course that circles around the resort as well. It is a decent sized place so more than enough to keep you happy.

Nozawa and Shiga Kogen others can help you with them.

As for night life I don't know as I usually go to the ski resorts for one day and return home.

Hakuba does have some restaurants and if you stay at a reasonable hotel then you can certainly get food there.

I would rule out Shiga Kogen based on your needs. The skiing is fine, but may not be a lot of choice in rental gear, especially clothing, and no nightlife worth mentioning.

As much as I love Nozawa, I think for you Hakuba might be a better choice.

An alternative you should consider is Echigo Yuzawa. Variety of large & small resorts, easy rental options, nice town with good eats/drinks.

Check out some of the info on the main site.

Oh, and welcome to SnowJapan.

Hakuba

Heaps of beginners stuff at the bottom and decent restauraunts and pubs great starting out point for your first trip as there are alot of people speaking English.

I would buy gear before you go especially clothes secondhand from Ebay or Gumtree you can get some bargains and resell when you get home if needed

Hi All, Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate your feedback, We are going to run with Hakuba, Can you refer me to a good resort in Hakuba which is a good match, wanting to be close to the action, close too, ie food eateries, lifts, a bar or two, onsens, etc..I would really value your feedback. cheers Travis

For the after stuff stay in echo land.....although TBF any of the main areas of Happo/goryu/47 will be near enough to make the night run to echo land n back for the après shit......u may want to think about where to get the early tracks cos Hakuba is pretty busy these days

Hi All, thanks again for your feedback, I've decided on Happo-One Snow Resort so now its just about the hotel, so I'm after hotel close to the lifts with in 5 minute walk, 5 or 10 minute walk to places to eat and close to the ski rentals place, and the odd bar, pub or where the action is, I'm also after a place which has a supermarket, for accordable supplier and Post office because I've read getting cash out from your ATM is very difficult, onsen would be good. Cheers Travis