Friend of mine was telling me that down in Kansai, it's a mostly snowboarding scene - like 85-90%.

For those been riding down there in recent years, Honto ni?

Sometimes he tends to exaggerate!

Last season I did 5 days skiing in Kansai and I would put it as 80- 85 % snowboarders. Not to many non Asians either, over the 5 days I saw only 2 other non Asians.

I'd agree that there are more snowboarders out this way, too. I know it's not Kansai, but specially when we go to Dynaland it just feels like primarily snowboarders. Hachi Akita this year felt more like 50-50 and there were a lot of guys telemarking, which was pretty cool. The insane Biwako Valley feels like only boarders who suck and can't handle the steepness.

I've noticed the snowboarders (especially at Dynaland) tend come in large groups of friends usually 5 or more and they are university students or in their 20s-30s. Whereas the skiers tend to be a little older, usually family types with the wife and kids. Of course this is not always the case but a common occurrence in my opinion.

yeah dynaland/takasu is the place to be for kansai people and good value for money. You can take a night bus and arrive at 4am then start boarding from 5am and then you finish at about 3:30pm and take bus back to kansai at 4pm.

oh and yeah snowboarding is much more popular for kansai people