It's like magic watching flowers grow from day to day. I had never appreciated that before.

But my oh my, how fast do weeds appear! I have been busy this week so no picking but in 5 days our place has been invaded by weeds. Can't quite believe how fast they appear.

It's going to look a weedy green mess when we get back from 2.5 weeks away!!

All very interesting and lots of it fun.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we were planning on having one area with flowers but it seemed too much - lots of other space for them - so we did a nice gravel thing, with a weed sheet under of course. Still they are popping up around the sides.

I find it amazing how some of them seemingly appear overnight and not just a bit but 10cm. Mad fast!

Back to the flowers though. I find it fascinating watching them from day to day.

I might even start talking to them!

Our momiji still seems to be in a bit of shock, but garden guy told us it will take a while for her to get used to new home and all is good. Just need to give her a bit of time to settle in proper.

Never could find an appreciation for flowers....despite being from the "Garden City" of Victoria, Canada. Even going to the famous Butchart Gardens was...meh.

Fruits and veggies though are totally awesome to watch grow and there's a payoff at the end. ;)

Hey, I did see an absolutely beautiful wild yellow Hibiscus near my place last weekend. I remember seeing them when I went for vacations down in Mexico so it's kind of surreal to see them growing around my house.

I have a SPECTACULAR cottage garden and it's HUGE. I love this time of year waiting waiting waiting for all the bulbs to start flowering.

When I dug all the gardens in I put 2 layers of flatten cardboard boxes down and then the soil. It help stop the weeds and will eventually break down.

I heard a great saying "Having a Garden is Believing in Tomorrow" !

Japan is hot and wet and bare ground soon reverts to jungle. We chopped down a load of conifers out the back about five years ago. It was dense unthinned forest, so it was very dark and had no understory. I've been hacking through it this year and the tallest trees on it are already twenty feet high. That's just in five years with snow on it four-five months a year when everything will be dormant.

During rainy season, I either have to weed whack in the rain or in soaking wet conditions after rain or let weeds take over. It's another reason I hate the rainy season.

Weed barriers can save you a lot of work, but weeds can still grow through them. In Japan, I would take Japanese peoples' advice regarding them, not advice from overseas, where I'm sure they must get fewer weeds.

Yeah, after a while you will give up on trying to pluck weeds, and just whack them.

The soil here seems to be incredibly fertile.

The owner of the empty lot next to us just plows it all under with a roto-tiller attachment to his tractor periodically to keep the weeds down. He used to spray some Agent Orange-like stuff around to kill everything, but that has apparently become frowned upon in recent years.

Just spent two hours (usually takes 15 minutes) out with the local 2nd Sunday of the month cleanup crew.....WEEDING.... drenched in sweat, and pissed off that my wife and kid are still in bed. They should be out there with everyone else, too. I'd better get a bloody nice breakfast.... :(