When do you want to stop "working"?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, I find it hard to follow your posts ippy!  

Perhaps look for some work involving colour later in life?

Lots of politicians seem to go on for a long time.

Hardly low pressure either.

Certain type of person for sure.

(Obviously the main thing being that they want to do everything they possibly can for the general public).

My parents retired at 53 and 55. My mom at 53 lasted a few months before she was looking for a new job. My dad didn't go back to work at all but he often complains of being bored. I originally thought 55 as well...but no, I'll keep on doing some kind of business well beyond that. Besides that....my spending habits aren't in line with being retired.

I expect in retirement I'll do a lot more volunteer work than I do now. I'm already on the board of two volunteer organisations and those roles would take up all my spare time if I let them. I don't think I'd get bored in retirement. Some volunteers I talk to reckon they've never worked harder than they have whilst in retirement.

I honestly can't understand being bored when you retire. I have so much non-work related stuff going on in my life that work really gets in the way. If I didn't have to work I wouldn't. In fact, I never would have worked a day in my life if it weren't necessary! (Not that I don't like what I'm doing though) ;)

From the very first day I started working I was already planning my retirement. I've never been into working for a living. It really is a mugs game.

haven't really thought of it.

I feel for lots of japanese at least that work is the major social thing too. Akways seems odd to me that they work together all the time, then have so many parties together as well. Like, give me a break hey?!

I too will not be bored during my retirement.

I will have a choice of travelling, cycling, skiing, probablu customising / modifying a car or motorbike, motorcycling around Japan, growing things for fun not for work, making things to name but a few things I will be doing.

No way will I be bored oh no it will be a great retirement.

Good question. I enjoy my job and don't want to stop working as it keeps my mind active. What I'd really love is a nice work-family life balance more than anything.

If I had to choose though, not too young. My dad retired through ill health at the age of 42, which is about 9 years on from now. Personally I think that was too young, but he is much happier now. I guess mid fifties really once I have achieved everything I want to do in my work life and happy. Luckily, if I stay in my job for another 15 years then I will get a good retirement package.

Is your Dad ok now, Rob? I certainly hope so.

I would like to retire earlier than later, as much as I might enjoy doing what I am doing. There's always the outside-work projects to work on.

Is your Dad ok now, Rob? I certainly hope so.

I would like to retire earlier than later, as much as I might enjoy doing what I am doing. There's always the outside-work projects to work on.

Not really, on permanent medication but he's getting there.

Lots of politicians seem to go on for a long time.

Hardly low pressure either.

Certain type of person for sure.

(Obviously the main thing being that they want to do everything they possibly can for the general public).

It seems most of them spend all their time going to Kinosaki Onsen, so it can't be that busy or stressful!