I'm looking at accommodation options for a 2 week holiday based in Niseko.

As far as I can tell, staying in Hirafu is generally more expensive than Annupuri...is that correct?

I quite like the idea of Annupuri...easy queue free access to some of the best slopes, miss the morning Hirafu hordes, more accommodation bang for your buck. Is that a fair assessment?

I'm aware that Annupuri will be dead at night though, so how easy is it to travel into Hirafu for evening entertainment?

If staying in Annupuri, where would be recommended?

Considering Lodge Mokoro - is that a good choice?

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-places-to-stay/hokkaido/niseko/lodge-mokoro-annupuri

Although the skiing experience will be similar staying at either Annupuri or Hirafu (albeit less people starting the day in Annupuri generally), the non-skiing experience will be very different.

Hirafu for greater variety of restaurant, bar and shops.

Annupuri for limited choice in all three of the above. The quality is definitely there in Annupuri, just less choice.

Either Hirafu or Annupuri will be alright, but based on you plans that you'd still want to go to Hirafu at night, it's better that you'll just stay at Hirafu all day, it would be more cheaper than you think you can if you'll go in Annupuri in daytime. Your expenses in commuting will just be the same.

Others with more experience may confirm or otherwise but I thought one on the issues about staying at Annupuri and accessing the other resorts is that you have to ride Jumbo Pair Lift #4 (at the top) to get there and that it is one of the first lifts to shut down in any type of wind. The bonus is that Hirafu's Ace Pair Lift #4 is also one of the first to go and that stops the hordes getting over to Annupuri. Provided the Annupuri Gondola is running you then have paradise all to yourself!

Whether or not I'm talking through my hat, there is always the inter-connecting bus to get to the other resorts.

My one useful tip is don't miss the lunchtime buffet at the Niseko Northern Resort Annupuri for ¥1800 (this season). Best value ever. You can thank me later.

• Like 1

Sorry for borrowing your post.

I'm also interested in the topic. I must say that I don't care too much about nightlife and so but rather get something economical. I've done some research and sent some enquiries to several accomodations and founded out that Niseko is quite expensive, considering I'm more familiar with prices around Europe.

Indeed, I've received quotations all over 70€ person/night.

So, to get this straight; is there any accomodation that you know cheap but not seedy in Niseko?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Here's a shocker of an idea.

Try a different area. You know, like...not Niseko. If you don't want to pay the The Niseko Premium...

There's tons of very fine places to go, that are much cheaper. You might even much prefer them. Many do.

Thanks metabo and pie-eater for your quick replies.

The only reason I'm sticking to Niseko is that, as far as I'm concerned and beside the crowds, it is the best place if you're seeking powder almost guaranteed.

Close to it, it's Rusutsu with similar powder dumps, right?

Keep in mind that we are skipping our ordinary trips to Pyrenees and Alps because we want to have a taste of the best powder in the world!

:D

Thanks metabo and pie-eater for your quick replies.

The only reason I'm sticking to Niseko is that, as far as I'm concerned and beside the crowds, it is the best place if you're seeking powder almost guaranteed.

Close to it, it's Rusutsu with similar powder dumps, right?

Keep in mind that we are skipping our ordinary trips to Pyrenees and Alps because we want to have a taste of the best powder in the world!

:D

Welcome polinawer.

Excuse the piss taking.

The Niseko Resort Area is the most popular in that part of Hokkaido but there are many areas with the same snow conditions.

They may be smaller or less developed or have less English spoken.

Outside of the Niseko Resort Area prices are cheaper.

e.g. Rusutsu, Kiroro

Search the resorts area of snowjapan to see which ones suit your budget.

And there's always Honshu ;)

I'm not convinced that within resort boundaries there's anything that much steeper on Honshu than what's on offer at Hokkaido resorts. Sure if you head out beyond into the backcountry there's much bigger mountains on Honshu but within resorts themselves for those that don't have all the skills and experience to head backcountry are there really many Honshu resorts that offer much steeper terrain than found at Hokkaido resorts? Are there any resorts on Honshu that offer as much easily accessible and legal off-piste terrain as many of the Hokkaido resorts? Genuine enquiry for those that have experience on both islands. And which Honshu resort would be the best for off-piste riding?

Don't worry for the mocking, sometimes I don't even notice since english is not my mother tongue :confused:

I've heard that Hakuba valley is the best choice for steepness. But for the time being, and since it's our first trip to Japan, we prefer DEEP rather than steep :sj-lol:

So will be heading straight to Hokkaido.

Rusutsu accomodation isn't cheap I am getting quoted $300/Night during Xmas and New Year and $150/night during Dec/Jan Kiroro is similar

Niseko has budget accom other than that I think you have to stay away from the slopes

Are they prices to stay in the resort hotels at Ru and Kiroro?

Rusutsu has a couple of pensions in front of the hotel you could ask. Kiroro, you could stay down in Otaru and travel up by shuttle bus. Or you could stay in Sapporo, check out where the best conditions are in both Ru and Kiroro as well as a Kokusai and Teine then hop on the relevant bus in the morning

Sapporo to Rusutsu is about 2hrs.....you leave at 8 and get there about 10am

From Otaru to Kiroro I think it's about 30mins and the earliest bus will get u there about 9am IIRC

Kokusai I don't know cos I've never been.

Sapporo to Teine will get you there just before 9am and the first lift

We have found a nice house in Hirafu's East Village with a price lower than the first quotations we started receiving :)

We are planning to split our trip in two parts, and thus willing to stay the second in the sourranding areas of Asahikawa. Asahidake sounds interesting for visiting, one gondola and all the terrain to enjoy :sjcool:

anything else not far from Asakihawa? Maybe Furano? Is Kamui Links worth?