The gnarliest (official) ski course in Japan is...

OK, so the gnarliest official run/course (ie, not a backcountry adventure) in Japan is....

Feel free to take on your own meaning of the world gnarliest.

Yes, I doubt many people have tried every single run in Japan. So, in your experience.

;)

The one that comes to my mind is the one down from the Ropeway at Ryuoo Ski Park. That caused me (and my admiteddly weak knee that day) some problems. Seemed to cause everyone on the course problems too!!

Obviously, I left out Mt Granview because it was taken for granted!

Where's your next-gnarliest, onehunga?

The next gnarliest run I've been on is the eagle (hawk, large bird) run at Sky Valley, the steepest part is 32 degrees. I've been down it twice and both times were by accident. Near the top is a turn to another run that cuts across the mountain. Twice in limited visibility I missed the turn. A combination of being narrow and steep meant I spent more time on my bum than on my skis

gallery_12115_202_74656.jpg

The one that comes to my mind is the one down from the Ropeway at Ryuoo Ski Park. That caused me (and my admiteddly weak knee that day) some problems. Seemed to cause everyone on the course problems too!!

Yeah! Ryuoo's also the gnarliest park for me, yet one of most enjoyable! ^_^

No coursr in Japan is gnarly enough for me as I am way too gnarly they are all easy as piss.

No not really.

But actually I like steep and challenging and even the steepest courses I dont find them to be so difficult.

But I still struggle with steep moguls I have "kind" of mastered moguls on a not to steep course but steep moguls now that to me is real gnarly.

I guess the gnarliest I've tried is Yokokura no Kabe at Zao, or Daikura Gelaende at Aizu Kogen Daikura, which is about the same thing.

Really want to try that top course at Kijimadaira some time.

Also, Hakkaisan.

Kijimadaira was pretty crazy when I was there... Cant really say I enjoyed it that much. Definitely enjoyed Ryuoo more.

This was the top of Kijimadaira in early January.

Kijimadaira

Super - Niseko Hirafu - My gnarliest. This run had been my nightmare everytime I rode the Ace Quad up. Well after a hot wine at lunch to warm myself up I decided to conquer Super - Word of warning if you a skier that has never been off a groomed run NEVER EVER drink Hot wine at lunch time!!! :shifty:

The top course at Kijimadaira is always worth a visit for a bit of gnarl.

Yeah, going with this over Ryuoo. That thing is not only steep as shit, its also windblasted. Its a 40+ degree ice skating rink with bobbles of frozen plants and rocks peeking through it. Its genuine Gnar.

Round the back though is awesome. :)

Yeah, going with this over Ryuoo. That thing is not only steep as shit, its also windblasted. Its a 40+ degree ice skating rink with bobbles of frozen plants and rocks peeking through it. Its genuine Gnar.

40+ degree?? I thought the steepest anywhere in Japan is 38?

ill be honest, i didnt measure it. I took a wild stab at it based on my HOLLLLEEEE FUUUUUUUCCCKKKK!!!! careening down an icewall :)

40+ degree?? I thought the steepest anywhere in Japan is 38?

There is a 40 degree course in rusutsu but it is fairly short