Advice on Niigata, Sado Island and Fuji Rock?

I'm planning a trip down to Fuji Rock in a few weeks time and was hoping for advice or recommendations from you clever people who might know that part of the world, or have been to Fuji Rock before.

We're going to catch the ferry down from Hokkaido to Niigata with our bikes the weekend before the festival. Loose plan is to do a couple of days over on Sado Island, before returning to the mainland to work our way inland to arrive at Naeba on the Thursday.

We'll be cycling and camping, so any recommendations for nice campsites, onsens or interesting things to see on Sado, or between the coast and Naeba would be really helpful. Also any ideas for a route to include nice quiet scenic roads for cycling?

It's our first time to Fuji Rock too, so any top tips for that are more than welcome too!

Many thanks in advance!

For Fuji Rock.....get to the campsite early....get the best slots cos it fills up quick!! Depending on the weather forecast, but when we went it was melting and as soon as the sun came u had to get up cos it was mental hot, so try and find a spot under or in the shade of some trees.

Thanks Tubby. Will plan to be there Thursday when the site opens so we can try and get a decent spot for the tent.

Wizz, Granview is obviously the main destination for the trip. I just used Fuji Rock as an excuse to get Mrs MagSeven to come along!

• 2 weeks later...

Incase anyone is interested, I've planned out a tentative route:

Day 1, Overnight ferry down from Tomakomai to Niigata arriving

Day 2 mid afternoon. Then hopping straight onto a ferry to Ryotsu on Sado Island. Wild camping overnight somewhere close to Ryotsu.

Day 3 60-70km approx cycle the top loop of Sado, camping somewhere on the west coast.

Day 4 60-70km approx cycle down the west coast and around the southern tip to Ogi, catch the evening ferry to Joetsu and wild camp somewhere just out of town.

Day 5 Head towards Tsunan via 253 and 405. Probably around 40-50km cos hilly. Find somewhere to camp when our legs have had enough!

Day 6 Another 40-50km approx to Yuzawa, via 405 and 353. (Definitely will take on the mighty Granview, probably naked. Heli rescue crews will be on standby in the likely event of trouble.) I think we'll probably have to brave a few tunnels on the roads along the way I think, but I booked a hotel for the night in Yuzawa to chill, have an onsen and a decent nights sleep before Fuji Rock starts.

Day 7 Head up early to Naeba via 17, which I looks like it'll be a pretty unpleasant ride through tunnels with traffic, but only 25km or something so will just have to bite the bullet and get it done. Hopefully get a decent camping spot for Fuji Rock!

After the festival will head back to Yuzawa, pack up the bikes and catch the Shink back to Niigata on Monday afternoon to catch the evening ferry back to Hokkaido.

Yuzawa to Naeba, some tunnels but not all by any stretch. Lots of it is "up" though.

Take the short cut via NASPA New Otani Hotel from central Yuzawa rather than following Route 17. Another small short cut in here (though quite steep! After Mt Granview though it'll be simples)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=%E7%9C%8C%E9%81%93462%E5%8F%B7%E7%B7%9A&daddr=36.9127269,138.7987357+to:%E4%B8%89%E5%9B%BD%E8%A1%97%E9%81%93%2F%E5%9B%BD%E9%81%9317%E5%8F%B7%E7%B7%9A&hl=ja&ie=UTF8&ll=36.922313,138.808479&spn=0.029403,0.066047&sll=36.915759,138.809037&sspn=0.029405,0.066047&geocode=FXKWMwIdDw5GCA%3BFVY-MwIdj-ZFCCnNaY0b2AMeYDFJ3b6dcq1yIg%3BFTAjMwIdzLpFCA&dirflg=d&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&t=m&z=15

Oh yes. 353 between Tsunan and Minamiuonuma/Yuzawa is still closed due to a landslide.

You'll need to get the next road over (Pref. road 76) coming out at Joetsu Kokusai skijo.....

I'm planning a trip down to Fuji Rock in a few weeks time and was hoping for advice or recommendations from you clever people who might know that part of the world, or have been to Fuji Rock before.

We're going to catch the ferry down from Hokkaido to Niigata with our bikes the weekend before the festival. Loose plan is to do a couple of days over on Sado Island, before returning to the mainland to work our way inland to arrive at Naeba on the Thursday.

We'll be cycling and camping, so any recommendations for nice campsites, onsens or interesting things to see on Sado, or between the coast and Naeba would be really helpful. Also any ideas for a route to include nice quiet scenic roads for cycling?

It's our first time to Fuji Rock too, so any top tips for that are more than welcome too!

Many thanks in advance!

I like your planned trip. So jealous..Wish I could do same thing. Good bless your vacation trip.

Oh yes. 353 between Tsunan and Minamiuonuma/Yuzawa is still closed due to a landslide.

You'll need to get the next road over (Pref. road 76) coming out at Joetsu Kokusai skijo.....

Thanks Muika, that's just the kind of local knowledge that'll come in handy. Bit of a bugger that one, will add quite a distance. Good to know in advance though so we're prepared!

You could also just take the many shuttle buses from Yuzawa sta to the festival

Debating whether or not to do that, leaving our bikes in Yuzawa. Kind of think it'd be cool to roll up to the festival under our own power though. Guess we'll see how we feel at the time.

I'm excited for you!

Cloud seems to be the forecast for the day, with a high of near 30 degrees.

Should be borderline cold up there on the peaks of Mt Granview.

Have fun!

muika, if he doesn't post in the next few hours, get the rescue up there.

The real problem would be if they got caught up there as darkness arrived.

Not the best of weather for a Mt Granview experience, but I think MagSeven had already alerted the authorities.

It's good knowing he went prepared though. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Sorry chaps, I didn't mean to cause any undue concern! I am safe and well in Yuzawa after exploring the Mighty Granview yesterday.

Pics will be posted when I get home. Heading up to Naeba for the festival this morning!

Also should add, thanks for the route advice Muika. Glad we were prepared for the extra distance to 76. It's been a tough couple of days climbing with loaded bikes, so unexpected detours wouldn't have been ideal!