How much electricity do you use?

Very common? I didn't realise. So it's not a status thing then, you don't need to be particularly well off? Or is everyone just well off over there?

When you fly into Perth, it seems like every second backyard has a pool. I found a water corporation report from 2007 that reports 20% of Perth households have a pool, not sure if that has changed much in the last 7 years.

There are a lot of well off people here, but there are plenty of people who are not so well off as well.

I used to build swimming pools as a summer job way back when I was a university student. They are very labour intensive to install but once up and running they can be quite eco-friendly. It really depends on how they are built.

I checked our electricity usage today. This month was 125 kWH, last month was 145 kWH. Guess we are pretty good at conserving energy.

That is low! You keep off the air-cond don't you?

I suppose if people are in the house during the day, costs are going to be a chunk more.

Mine was 265 last month.

Yeah, we rarely use the ac and are often out during the day. In the winter I think we double that figure keeping our house warm. Heated toilet seats, kotatsu, heated carpets and radiators all add up!

Yeah, heating isn't such a problem, its water conservation that is the big issue with them here, seeing as we don't really get that much rain. The water corporation encourage people to keep their pool covers on to reduce evaporation, but for a lot of people, that means the pool ends up getting too hot to be comfortable - when its 35 degrees plus outside, you want the water to be refreshing not like a bath.

The black pipes on the roof thing is a good idea for the spring and autumn here, using some sort of solar thermal heating like this can extend the swimming season by a few months easily and cheaply.

It is very common to have a swimming pool here in Perth, and I am sure that is the case in most of Australia.

We don't have one here in Tamworth. Many do, though! I had one once, spent so much more time cleaning the bloody thing than actually swimming in it!

It seemed like a good idea at the time, kids could cool off after school in summer, I could cool off after work in summer! Didn't quite work out that way.

For a start, every bloody tree for miles around dropped their leaves in MY pool! Needed an hour a day just to keep it from going green! Cost a fortune in chlorine and electricity. I cannot recall now as it was over 20 years ago, but I do remember promising myself, when I left that house, that I'd never have a pool again and if I wanted to have a swim, I'd go to the council pool! Some other poor sucker can do the cleaning!

Lol. I used to be the pool guy!

One thing that most people don't realise is that swimming pools are a big investment that can negatively effect property value. An ageing pool that isn't properly maintained is a money pit.