The current overheating of the Pacific Ocean is a fact. And that is directly related to the Niño phenomenon. Several degrees over the average temperature leads to "strong" Niño effect. This is what the scientific community are claiming based on figures and measurements.

Despite, I've always heard news on the effect it has on the climate in the west coast of America (actually the name comes from the fact that peruvian sailors discovered it during Christmas eve).

Doing some research, I've found that it's not only related with significant weather changes on the west coast of America as a regular basis but also to the number of typhoons in the other side of the ocean. Having said that it's been pretty tough to find any info related to this and its side effects on Japan, specially Hokkaido island since I'll make a long trip to get there next year.

Recently, I came accross some vague statistics on the average snowfall for Niseko during the last Niño events (I can not recall the years; maybay 2007 was the last one). It could be observed that during these years, the amount of precipitation descends, but nothing significantly.

Fingers crossed ;)

During the last big El Nino in the 90's.. salmon stocks along the west coast of Canada were severely affected by non native species of fish preying on juvenile salmon. I remember going out in the boat and not being able to keep the mackerel of the gear. It was right at the time I came over to Japan....time sure flies.

The stressing about Japans Snowfall has started very early this year . Usually it is not until the first sprinkles of snow on Fuji & Youtei and movement of beetles & Bugs in Hokkaido. :lol:

For my 2 cents JAPAN SKI SEASON will be awesome as usual El Nino or NO El Nino. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It will be Bottomless and you'll be able to Live The Dream*.

(* Even if there's not much snow and it's shite!).

:thumbsup:

No need for any stress**.

(** Unless you haven't Booked Now yet).

The Japan Meteorological Agency this week forecast a 70 percent chance El Nino will occur, the highest since its last occurrence in 2009, bringing lower temperatures that could continue through autumn. Dai-ichi Life Research Institute economist Toshihiro Nagahama sees a risk that cooler weather could reduce growth by as much as 0.9 percentage point in the third quarter.

“We can’t rule out the potential that the El Nino this summer causes unexpected damage to Japan’s economy,” Nagahama said. “This could affect the decision to raise the sales tax from October next year as the growth rate in July-September is critical for that judgment.”

Issued on the 14 of May 2014

From my records at village level in the Niseko Resort Area :

2009 / 10 Season Snowfall

Total - 15.8 m (mean for 8 winters 14.3 m)

October - 5cm

November - 82 cm

December - 359 cm

January - 590 cm

February - 260 cm

March - 271 cm

April - 13 cm

Fingers crossed for a repeat :)

• 4 weeks later...

The Bureau of Meteorology in Aus has downgraded the likelihood of a strong El Nino now. If El Nino conditions do develop this year they believe they are only likely to be weak.

JAMSTEC, a climate research agency, now forecasts ``average'' temps & precip for the Dec/Jan/Feb period. Their research centers on ENSO (the nino/nina shifts). Still, half a year out nobody really knows. Best to book early, just in case.

We'll have to wait for snowdude to regale us with his amazing powers of weather forecasting. He always gets it exactly right. Although that ice age seems to be a little late...

• 1 month later...

FYI, as we approach the end of September, we are not yet in an El Nino and it remains uncertain whether there will be one this year. I've read odds of 2:1 in favor.

For those interested in the technical details: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

I've booked Furano for 9-13 Dec. and am praying for heavy early snow.