Computer backup cloud services

I am fed up of my crappy backup drive and the fact that it's sat right next to me. So if there's a fire, it gets done too.

So was looking into some of the cloud services there are now for backup.

Anyone use any of these services? Well, one of the reputable ones anyway. Having a bit of trouble getting round sending stuff 'outside', not that there's much top secret stuff going on here. :lol:

I used Zoolz, the Genie9 people. Easy to use, safe (supposedly), unlimited and cheap.

The only downer is you need to wait a few hours for restores to come out of "cold storage", but for $2 a month I think I can live with that.

I'm interested in this too.

It probably won't be long before this is the thing that is done, so to speak, rather than having local backups as the main.

I find the whole backup thing frustrating though. Shifting them off somewhere seems like a good idea to me, esp. if it is very secure/encrypted whatever.

The woman was probably on a dinosaur connection and things may have improved, but I remember reading about a case where a photographer signed up for one of these and it took 9 months (NINE MONTHS!!!) for all her files to upload to the service the first time.

:lol:

I dont trust any of the cloud services. No matter how safe they say they are at the end of the day a human is at the end of it in control.

I do all local backups to external HD's and blueray/ DVD data discs.

That way I know where all my data is.

I have a 3TB Airport Time Capsule at home that is connected to another 2TB hard drive. The Time Capsule is for backing up and the 2TB is used as another drive (and a backup that I infrequently update). The advantage of having it hooked up like this is the continual automatic backups and access to an external hard drive wirelessly. I also use dropbox for most of my work files and more and more I'm using iCloud, especially since you can access iCloud on a PC through their website.

If my house were to burn down or wash away in a flood I'd lose a lot of not so important files which would be annoying but no big deal. All of my important work, research and even things like wedding photos is in the cloud now.

What do you guys backup? I don't do that but then I dont think I have anything that needs backing up....I suppose I have a lot of photos that I'd be kinda bummed if I lost them but most are on Facebook....so I suppose that's a kind of backup for them

:doh:

I did not know you could do iCloud from PC.

Thanks BM!

Yeah, it's kind of a new(ish) thing. A few of the applications like Keynote and Pages are still in Beta I think and are missing a bit of functionality but they are still really useful. All of the important stuff is there.