Is there a cure for a keyboard messed up with spilled coffee?

This morning spilled a bit of coffee on my keyboard.

I tried to dry it off quickly.

But.

Since then, some of the keys are acting up making it unusable.

Is this a hopeless case?

:(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just a keyboard, or the keyboard of a laptop? If it's just a normal keyboard they can taken apart and cleaned. All the bits except the circuit board can be washed in water.

Thanks for the responses.

Sadly, it is a laptop.

It still works, it is not dead as such, but typing has gone all very wonky making to almost as good as dead.

Try pulling the laptop apart. The keyboard should come out no problem. They are usually held in by a couple of screws under the laptop. The problem being that you don't want to turn the laptop upside down to get to them. Sounds awkward but try and keep the laptop right way up and get the screws out. then remove the keyboard. The coffee should be contained within the keyboard. Once out the keyboard can be cleaned, use a damp cloth and if necessary remove the keys from the keyboard.

If the laptop isn't too old you should be able to get a replacement keyboard.

I've brought laptops that have had full cups of coffee spilled on them back from the dead before. It's possible with a bit of time and effort.

Sorry to hear that oo. Hope you get it sorted.

For me the ONLY time I clear out stuff and have a nice clean set up is when I have a new computer. All downhill from there.

Damn that new computers cost money!

Though comparted to x years ago they seem to be much cheaper. I remeber buying a laptop for aroun 40 man.

Windows Server 2012 is not usually at home, it is usually found at work. When you log into your computer at work you are probably connecting to a Windows Server. Depending on how up to date your work place is it may be Server 2012, although it's most likely an earlier version.

Could wait for 10-14 days for a Dell order, got a Toshiba Dynabook. Whether that is a good decision or not, I don't know. But it's mostly mail/web anyway so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Feels nice and fast anyway. On to installing and all that faffing about.