Ah, I feel better now (sayonara Facebook)

2 months ago, I realised that:

1) I was addicted to reading dross on the internet, lots of it actually on my Facebook page (stuff I didn't write, of course!), I was always checking it

2) what I was checking really mostly wasn't interesting

3) increasingly wary of privacy issues, not that I totally understand it all.

But mostly 1) and 2)

It seemed more and more like a sad and sometimes even pathetic waste of time and life, and I felt that something needed to be done.

So I decided to permenantly delete my Facebook account.

It felt odd at first, like withdrawl.

But I quickly got used to it and found myself with lots of time opening up.

It was kind of liberating.

That weird 'pressure' of checking and keeping up with stuff suddenly gone.

I still communicate with my friends - by email or phone. Not being on Facebook hasn't had a bad effect on my relations.

I just don't know when they are going out for dinner, what they wore, which restaurant they are going to, and how the ramen was.

Was I ever remotely interested in that kind of thing anyway? :confused: I realise now, no I wasn't.

But getting rid of lots of 'friends' who weren't really my friends at all has been refreshing.

And that feeling of having an increasing amount of spookily targeted 'advertising' pushed onto me gone is a very good thing indeed as well.

Anyway, if you see yourself in what I said above..... I absolutely highly recommend it!

It can be done.

:thumbsup:

I haven't posted in many months...... It's still there but pretty much dormant.

The only reason I haven't deleted it is I may use it for business sometime in the future. I'll probably be ready right when Facebook has gone the way of Myspace... :thumbsup:

Good luck with cutting down on the non-Facebook dross too! :thumbsup:

I don't mind Facebook, but I don't have a smartphone so its not there all the time.

I think I spend the most time on Yahoo Auctions.

I like facebook, but then I only have a few facebook friends and they are either relatives or actual friends. I use it to keep in touch with people in four different countries. Anyone who posts "crap" gets unfollowed, therefore I only see things that are of interest to me.

If you operate it correctly facebook is a great way of keeping in touch, but if you are one of those people who have thousands of friends, and follow every B list actor.

In any case I spend way more time checking posts here than I do checking facebook :)

I have two Facebook accounts one personal one and one for business.

The personal one I never use and cant be arsed tp check it. I couldnt give a toss what restaurant my friends etc are going to and I hate updating and telling people what I am doing or where I am.

So I have no use for it.

But for my business I do use it I need to but even that I only use as little as possible.

As for Twitter nah I dont use that either even though I have an account. And the same with Tumblr.

Good luck with cutting down on the non-Facebook dross too! :thumbsup:

I don't mind Facebook, but I don't have a smartphone so its not there all the time.

I think I spend the most time on Yahoo Auctions.

Ah....Yahoo Auctions...!! It's my personal drug of choice..!! :wave:

Is there more to it than "shopping"?

Like prospecting for gold. Most of the time you're sifting through dirt.....but every once in a while you find a rare nugget.... ;)

It's Ebay, but Japanese, so you're dealing with mainly Japanese people, and it's pay to play, so maybe fewer timewasters/scammers/idiots. The vast majority of auctions have an auto-extend on them, so you don't get someone's computer automatically coming in and swiping the auction with one second to go. You'll get five minutes to respond to any bid at the death.

But yeah, shopping. Buying stuff. Retail therapy. :friend:

Like prospecting for gold. Most of the time you're sifting through dirt.....but every once in a while you find a rare nugget.... ;)

So like walking the dog, then.

Twitter is the one that I totally don't get. A few times I have tried to get some info and follow a line of talk between a few people on there and it's just totally beyond me. Endless hashtags, links, photo links. Infuriating.

:grandpa:

I have just 10 friends on Facebook. They're real friend though and there's no nonsense stuff there just a way to keep in touch.

Some people are heavily dependent on it, not a good idea

I've ended up using Google Plus unwittingly because it took over Picasa, the photo software. If you upload using it now, your photos end up on Google Plus instead of what was Picasaweb. Its pretty easy to use, so I prefer it to flickr etc. That said, its only photos of my kids for my old dear to see.

I've never used Twitter. Facebook is pretty useful if you want to organise a get together and allow folks to have feedback. We do a couple of things and it would be more bother with email. There seems to be a migration to Line with the Japanese people we know, but I don't have a smartphone so I can't use it. I have to look at wife's to find out what is going on.