Who here checks where stuff is coming from?

Do you avoid stuff made in Fukushima or close?

I was just reading this article which is going on about levels of cesium 1.7 times the normal/recommended (or whatever 食品の基準値 means), coming from Niigata. First time for Niigata.

新潟県は30日、津南町で採れた山菜コシアブラから、放射性セシウムが国の定める食品の基準値(1キロあたり100ベクレル)を超える同171ベクレル検出されたと発表した。県内の山菜から基準値を超える放射性セシウムが検出されたのは初めて。

このコシアブラは、同町の直売所で販売されていたもので、県は津南町産コシアブラの出荷と食用の自粛要請を同町と関係機関に出した。

It's hard to know how worried we should be able this kind of thing. Or not?

Same thing happened for koshiabura found in one part of Nagano City last month. Other sansai tested with very low levels, so it sounds like there are some hot spots. Due to some mechanism way beyond my understanding, koshiabura may be an accumulator for this particular substance.

fwiw, koshiabura the "food" is a large tree bud with shoots eaten in spring, usually as tempura. Its really really good. I get it growing in the woods behind my house. To be honest, when I heard the news about Nagano City, I was surprised they even test tree buds, a minor and very seasonal product. It sounds like its just as well that they do.

we were when we lived in Kanagawa, not so sure I keep up with it here. I actually naively assume most veg is from Hokkaido, that we buy.

It is worrying tho

I eat a lot of fish...I'm pretty much pickled in heavy metals as it is ... :party: And being as old as the hills....a little radiation isn't going to make any difference. My wife is pretty wary of what our daughter eats though.

I don't eat any seafood so on that front I'm ok BUT growing up with all the lead paint and asbestos that was used in the building of Scottish schools.....I'm snookered too :)

I had a dream the other night that a worker at Fukushima Daiichi screwed up wit he delicate procedures and a catastrophe of unimaginable proportions happened. We were all rushing to leave Japan and, well it was all rather scary to be honest.

In other news, on the ナニコレ珍百景 fab tv programme tonight, one of the entries was from Fukushima where they found lots of funny looking fish swimming around.

199210-141242-blinky.png

But seriously, come on folks!

Our great leader Shinzo Abe promised us that all is fine. He even promised the Olympic people that Tokyo was absolutely safe, and he jolly well wouldn't lie to them.

In fact, I can't imagine him lying to anyone.

:thumbsup:

Yes all the food has where it comes from/or where it is produced.

Having said that some of the foods only have the company and address of that company which is not necessarily where the ingredients are from.

Having said that some of the foods only have the company and address of that company which is probably more often than not where the ingredients are from.

Adjusted that for you.

I think I remember seeing a documentary about some food coming in from China or elsewhere, and then just being packaged in Japan --- and it was being labelled Made in Japan.

Having said that some of the foods only have the company and address of that company which is probably more often than not where the ingredients are from.

Adjusted that for you.

I think I remember seeing a documentary about some food coming in from China or elsewhere, and then just being packaged in Japan --- and it was being labelled Made in Japan.

Its pretty common with the eels I heard. They raise them in China, throw them in a pen for a month or two to qualify, and then sell them as Japanese.

Even when there are labels they are so often BS they are basically impossible to trust. Food safety is a joke in Japan and based on the honour system. Every single year, without fail, there is another scandal of mislabeled food. There aren't even penalties for this kind of fraud.

TOKYO —

A panel of the Consumer Affairs Agency has recommended that fines be imposed on companies that mislabel products.

The panel met this week to discuss measures to avoid a repeat of the spate of mislabeling of food products that occurred last year among hotels, restaurants and department stores one after another. The agency said that 307 cases of food labeling had been uncovered, involving 23 industry bodies from last September to December.

The agency has already advocated amendments to a law on misleading advertising in an effort to prevent similar issues in the future. Under the existing law, only the Consumer Affairs Agency has jurisdiction over companies that falsely label products. The proposed amendments will expand jurisdiction to local governments, allowing for more focused and effective preventive measures, such as fining companies which mislabel food and drink products.

The agency has been hampered because it has no prefectural branches and also plans to give local governments the power to strengthen surveillance of restaurants and hotels.

Masako Mori, minister for consumer affairs and food safety, said a bill to stiffen penalties for mislabeling will be submitted to the next Diet session in the autumn.