I am having trouble even knowing what to ask for in English!

I'm interested in having something in the garden made from stone. Not a great big huge 'lantern' but a smaller one, a bit mushroom-y shaped. What are those things called?!

灯篭 (tourou)

You can get them cheap on Yahoo Auctions. Old ones often look better because of the patina.

Larger garden ones are usually made up of several pieces, so you can set em up by yourself. The heaviest bit may only be 30-40kg or so.

Temples ones must be very heavy, however.

Thanks yes I was on to those words eventually!

Some of them are well expensive, way out of range to even begin considering.

I have seen some nice looking onces made from Shigaraki pottery - not as heavy and nowhere near as expensive but still looks nice. And it's what it looks like that's important. I don't want anything overly "Japanese style" as it would be out of place, but I do like them too.

By the looks, kinoko is an accepted term for the shape of what you're looking for.

We've got a regular one I got off the old boy. Its got the four legs and a hexagonal roof, and it's about a meter high and maybe 60cm across. The heaviest bit is the roof but I can just about move that on my own. Guessing from a comparison with a box of firewood, getting on for 45kg. We also have a carved stone bowl and I think we'd need pulleys or a crane to shift that. It's not going anywhere soon.

In case you're interested, we also have a Japanese style metal garden light that is a similar shape with the four legs and is the kind of thing you might find in a ryokan garden. It was only four thousand yen second hand off Yahoo Auctions. You can find similar things by searching for 庭園灯 and 和風. We put that one away in winter, but the stone one gets left out in the snow. Because its stone, I can also weed whack right up to it. I couldn't do either if it were made of pottery.

Sounds nice!

But probably too expensive looking at how much heavy stone ones are. And lots of them are a bit too decorative for what I want.

I think the pottery one will do fine, we have some other pieces of Shigaraki too so it kind of fits in.

I had a little look at the Shigaraki ones on Rakuten and they look really nice in the photos. I've marked a couple of stone ones on the auctions too. I've been spending a lot recently, so I better run em past the missus.

What trees are you having put in, btw?

That looks cool! The ones I saw were more orangey. A very similar shape though, handmade looking and the kind of rough unbalancedness that gets folks talking about wabisabi. item.rakuten.co.jp/irodoriya/c/0000000209/

Whatever I buy is going next to a "Big Mama" hosta, so it'll have to be quite tall. I might just pass on the Japanese idea though and go with something from the old country.

Stonehenge-replica.png

Yeah the orangey photos didn't look as good to me, I prefer grey/white. This shape is a bit nicer too, well I like it.

Always a bit of worry when you buy something without seeing it. ( See "Stonehenge" :lol: )

I like those stone statues as well, they are nice, but my wife doesn't like them, not that I had planned to put any in my garden at this time, but yeah they are nice.

I've never done it with ours, but the idea has crossed my mind. Its very big for one candle.

Lots of little ones with candles in should look pretty good though.

Candles in the snow look fantastic.

You should give it a try!

They sure do.

muikabochi, I can just imagine the garden you would make you love those things in the trees!

I ordered that stone thingy and it came today.

Looks great. Quite light but it looks heavy.

Comes in 5 pieces and you just put them on top of each other - they 'fit' nicely.

A good buy I think.