This is the stone thing I got off the old boy. I measured it and its more like 75 high and the same wide.

DSC_9667_1.jpg

I tried a tea light in it last week but you could barely notice it. With candles outside, you really need loads of them. One is just sabishii.

DSC_9675_1.jpg

It's hard to know because I've no eye for what good stone is, but I guess second hand on the auctions, maybe 20-30,000. New, maybe up towards 100,000 for that size.

My inlaws are about to rebuild their place, so we might be able to pick up some more goodies.

Well we've got lots of trees you can photograph too! If you're heading this way just say the word.

On the subject of trees, all the dogwoods (yamaboushi for the white Japanese one, or hanamizuki for the pink American one) are in bloom here at the moment. There's quite a lot of them along the road.

We bought an old country house and it came with 550 tsubo, so about 1800 sq meters. The house backs onto a wooded slope, so half our land is (former) woodland. It was all covered in sugi conifers that were 20m or so high, but we had them chopped down. There was a real risk of them falling on the house.

We've made a garden around the house, but the rest of the land isn't very well kept. Lots and lots of weeds.

On the subject of trees, all the dogwoods (yamaboushi for the white Japanese one, or hanamizuki for the pink American one) are in bloom here at the moment. There's quite a lot of them along the road.

These trees confuse me. We planted what we thought was a hanamizuki (magnolia, I thought), but it turned out to be a yamaboushi. Doesn't look like a dogwood to me, though (which we had when I was a kid).

Then there's kobushi, which I thought was supposed to be a dogwood, but Wikipedia claims is a magnolia...

Not really sure what is what any more, in either language...

Tree names are weird. People call sugi cedars, but they are a different species. The famous cedar used for log cabins and decking, Western Red Cedar, isn't a cedar either. Its a cypress. People call ume plums, but Western plums are juicy and Japanese people call them "sumomo". An ume is firm and more like an apricot.

I've never seen a dogwood outside Japan, so the word for me is simply what the dictionary says for yamaboushi/hanamizuki. I don't know what the right name is, but the flower is the same shape for those two, so they must be varieties of the same thing.

Interesting, Mr. Wiggles, I had no idea.

Which led me to wonder why the heck the kanji is "wind tree," but Wikipedia tells me that the proper kanji was originally actually something else, but that other kanji didn't make it into the Joyo Kanji list. The wind-tree kanji, which did make it, came from another tree (pronounced "fuu") that looks kind of like the kaede.

Learn something new every day!

Kaede's look lovely in a summer breeze with the little leaves rippling and catching the light in different directions, but yeah, the kanji was appropriated from another tree.