It's starting to cool down a bit in Southern Oz so thoughts are turning to mid year snow fun again.

I have booked for En-Zed again, A shorter trip this year - 5 days in Wanaka and 5 Days in Queenstown flying direct to QTown from Bris-Vegas

Anyone else heading out - Australia, NZ, South America?

Some pics from last year's NZ trip .

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/23203-snowjunky-in-nz-2013-a-bitter-sweet-trip

Will probably take my daughter up to Mt St Gwinear for some snow play and maybe some x-country skiing. Thinking of maybe an overnight snow camp as well.

Strictly bc for me this season.

Weather permitting I am doing a week camping on the main range and then down to vic for 3-4 days camping on bogong with my cousin.

Was just thinking if SJ would be doing NZ again and also if Goz was in Oz- doing Island Bend - both, I would like to do too but really keen on Island Bend. Will be waiting tho to see what happens re conditions Oz & NZ . & the other excuse at the mo is renovating our house - which can be a pita when it comes to going boarding. Still keen tho - really wanna check out Goz,s small split board- mate!

Was just thinking if SJ would be doing NZ again and also if Goz was in Oz- doing Island Bend - both, I would like to do too but really keen on Island Bend. Will be waiting tho to see what happens re conditions Oz & NZ . & the other excuse at the mo is renovating our house - which can be a pita when it comes to going boarding. Still keen tho - really wanna check out Goz,s small split board- mate!

Come to splitfest to check it out

• 1 month later...

Surprised no one else has updated this recently as we've been having a pretty good snow season in Aus. All higher resorts now have well over 1m of snow on the ground and from what I've heard the quality of the snow has been good (at least for Aus). Bit of sad news over the last couple of days though with two missing backcountry snowboarders, who were up on Victoria's highest peak Mt Bogong (1986m), having been found dead in avalanche debris in one of the gullies. Haven't made it up myself yet as we've been incredibly busy with work but hope to soon.

japan = arguably the best place in the world to snowboard.

australia = arguably the worst place in the world to snowboard. (especially if you're paying for lift tickets $120AUD/day this year)

but snowboarding in australia>japan at this particular time of the year :D

I still think Aus has some great backcountry terrain and even some reasonable snow quality at times. Doubt I'll ever ski at an Aussie ski resort again though.

australia = arguably the worst place in the world to snowboard. (especially if you're paying for lift tickets $120AUD/day this year)

Oz get rid of the stickers and give the deck a polish with mister sheen on The Spliff Family Tree and you might sell it easier saying that after all the use it got you could just give it away for free :D

Whats the new board ?

Oz get rid of the stickers and give the deck a polish with mister sheen on The Spliff Family Tree and you might sell it easier saying that after all the use it got you could just give it away for free :D

Whats the new board ?

thanks for the advice, ill do that.

i bought a jones ultracraft. very impressed with it so far.

yes noticably, its 8cm longer than the spliff yet 500grams lighter.

my buddy has the hovercraft split and we swapped a foot each and the difference is huge.

10498697_10152932290052656_266954955596123483_o.jpg

will pay off on long multiday tours.

• 2 weeks later...

Woop!, Woop!

3 sleeps till I am back in the land of the long white cloud and ace fush and chups.

Looks like I will be landing in Queenstown in the middle of the best storm to hit NZ so far this year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't get to exited. Snow cover below 1800 m is still thin. Coronet peak was like an ice rink today. Remarkables has more coverage the best skiing there is NOT lift accessed. You have to climb for it. Waiting to see what this Norwest storm brings over the next 3 days.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The official ski season in Australia is from early June through to early October. Some of the highest resorts may have snow on the ground for much of that period but June is often pretty sketchy and if it's a fairly poor season (which happens quite often) then there may be very limited skiing by October. From about mid July to mid Sept you can generally expect reasonable snow cover in most years. Most Aussie resorts though barely get as much snow in a whole season as many Japanese resorts get in January alone.

Over here I've been skiing as early as April and late as November it varies from year to year. However it pales in comparison with what Japan has to offer.