The beach houses down here in Usami close at around 6 but I'm not sure about the shacks on the main beach in Ito. It seems they get a lot more "yankee" types there and I think they stay open later. Generally though, the whole beach house thing has really died out around here. When I first moved to Usami there were about 8 businesses running....now I think it's down to 2....

A couple season we had a lot of rain and one recent season we had a large shark take up residence in the bay which scared beach goers off and they've never really returned...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really miss camping down at Lake Toya. Beautiful place.      

A ...umm......house.......umm.......on the........you know..... BEACH!! :D

Temporary summer shacks they put up along the beach that sell food and stuff.

What do you mean, Muika? You don't stay in the beach houses.....they are just places to buy food n drinks. They are much more expensive than the surrounding shops tho, so what we'd do is nick over to the shops to get beer instead of buying on the beach

**edit**

Haha!! Never mind....I just realised you meant camping!! :doh: :D

Well... no, can't say I've ever been considering my place is right next to the beach anyway. Even if it wasn't .... I wouldn't be too interested.

What do you mean, Muika? You don't stay in the beach houses.....they are just places to buy food n drinks. They are much more expensive than the surrounding shops tho, so what we'd do is nick over to the shops to get beer instead of buying on the beach

**edit**

Haha!! Never mind....I just realised you meant camping!! :doh: :D

Haha.....I was thinking the same thing Tubby...

Camping.... I'm not much of a long term camper. Anything more than a few days and I start to get a little bored. For long term camping I'm really interested in expedition tripping like one day going through Africa or South America via overland offroad. Even in Japan, I rarely stay in the same spot for two consecutive nights. It's a bucket list dream to do the Rubicon trail and Moab. That's my kind of camping..!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVBL_o7zmsM

So we had a great time in Ibaraki at the off-road event. Probably about 1000 cars showed up and most people camped right in the park. I took the video camera along and got a bit of footage. This first clip is of the grounds and the extreme race. There was a mud drag race in the afternoon but I haven't edited that yet.. If you're interested take a look..

I'm surprised at how fast some of those drivers go through the courses. I suppose that is a point of pride?

It is a timed race. I don't think any of the vehicles escaped without some damage. Some rather serious actually.

@634-maru... The mud drag race was after this event.. :lol:

Some of those could do with a good wipe down with clean water and cloth!

;)

With this being Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a load of car washing equipment on site for the competitors.

Great to hear some 4x4s rev nearly as high as our three speed Pajero Mini!

Some of those could do with a good wipe down with clean water and cloth!

;)

With this being Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a load of car washing equipment on site for the competitors.

Great to hear some 4x4s rev nearly as high as our three speed Pajero Mini!

Haha...they do!! A couple power washers. I think they get complaints from the community if trucks don't get the mud off.....big chunks of mud all over the road.

The washing thing doesn't surprise me because its the type of consideration Japanese folks are very good at. Its like the compressed air blowers and brushes you get at some ski resorts to get the snow off your bindings before you head back to the car. Note that there are also types of consideration Japanese people are not very good at. See the "Long time, no see! Oh you've put on weight" thread for one example.

Its a running joke but our Pajero Mini is a three speed AT. Three forward gears that is. Once you hit third, all you can do is whirr more for more speed.

I still think you have something slipping in the driveline. Frankly though.....Anything after 100k kms the Mini is ready to grenade at any moment.

I have a driving question.

Is it good practice or bad practice to go straight from 3rd to 5th gear (for example) if it seems ok speed/revs wise... or should you aways go one up and down at a time?

I wouldn't say it was good practice ... but sure...it doesn't hurt anything unless you are constantly bogging down the revs like all the Taxi drivers do here. Seriously makes me want to slap them.

Here's the mud drag footage. Not much mud this year due to the dry spell of weather.