I assume a lot of folks here get out in the off season for a bit of camping from time to time. Post your pictures and favorite spots. :wave:

Last weekend I got away to the five lakes around Mt. Fuji. I stayed at Shoji-ko but did some exploring around Sai-ko, Mototsu-ko. Also, found some of the dirt roads up to the Fuji highlands and spent Sunday blasting around some off-road trails. Lots of fun..!!

Shojiko in the AM..

DSC_0094_zps349759b2.jpg

Proper camp spots were full so I parked where no one else could get into...the riverbed..

DSC_0111_zps9f8e9f45.jpg

Playing around Fuji

DSC_0199_zpsa2ebb1a5.jpg

DSC_0213_zpsec5e248a.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really miss camping down at Lake Toya. Beautiful place.      

We like camping and will probably go for a weekend out sometime during summer.

Problem is summer is spring and summer are my busiest periods so not easy to get out much.

Ya..that's right. Bed goes from front to back. It's just an extension so you can have the tailgate and hatch open thus gaining about a meter of space and remedies the condensation problem you get when sleeping in a car. Sets up in about 30 seconds and is nice to be able to park and sleep anywhere. I have a tent as well and a side tent....depends on the location and weather and how genki I feel about setting it all up..

DSC_0106_zps16a01c02.jpg

As you probably well know Chriselle, be careful of camping in riverbeds. Heavy rain can make these "streams" raging rivers in a matter of a few hours.

There was an incident a few years ago with campers being washed away during the night here in Japan.

@Stemik......Haha...When I checked in.. the lady advised me not to camp there but unless by an act of god that the starry night and zero probability of precipitation could turn to torrential rain,,, then I had it coming.. :lol:

I'm off to Ibaraki for the JOA (Japan Offroad Association) festival and will be setting up camp. Should be cool...all the Japanese red necks in their trucks... :wave:

I heard tell that they've clamped down on overnight beach camping this year, and even the beach bars??

Say it isn't so!! :(

The beach bars around Shonan have been under more restrictions the past few years......closing earlier. This year I heard that they've banned live music from most bars and in Zushi they have banned tattoos on the beach (how can that be enforced??) and BBQ's. Around Shonan you weren't allowed to camp on the beach anyway

Yep, here it is:

ZUSHI —

The municipal assembly in Zushi, Kanagawa Prefecture, has passed a resolution that bans playing loud music and drinking alcohol at the city’s only beach. Anyone with visible tattoos will also be barred.

The resolution, which was passed late Wednesday, was submitted after several instances of unruly behavior at the beach, which has turned the area into a “nightclub,” Zushi local government official Musashi Koizumi said.

Last summer, there was an increase in the number of so-called “umi no ie” (beach huts) used by beachgoers to play loud music and have wild parties. Officials say moral standards among young beachgoers have been deteriorating as seen in an increase in fights among drunken people, and more garbage being left on the beach, Sankei reported.

The resolution includes a prohibition on drinking alcohol and barbecuing outside beach huts, prohibition of exposure of tattoos, and a ban on playing loud music on the beach or in beach huts which must close by 6:30 p.m.

Zushi? I hadn't heard that, but they are still allowing the bars to operate so I'd be surprised if they banned alcohol. Being honest, Id gladly ban them all....I always preferred the beach when it was bar-less.....that way there was less drunken nob-ends down from Tokyo and Yokohama puking up, fighting and almost drowning.

DSC_0094_zps349759b2.jpg

Is that a RAV4 about to drive into the lake?

No...but I wish he would have... :( It was about 5:30 in the morning and I wanted a nice sunrise shot of the lake and Fuji and that douche pulls up right there and sat there (in his car) all morning.

Yeah so u can still drink in the beach huts....right?

Closing at 6.30?!? Wow! Seems hardly worth them opening in the first place. The funny thing is that Zushi was the least chavvy affected beach as it's a wee bit of a walk from the station. Kugenuma was where most of the skanky shit was going on. They used to be open until 10-11pm and be really chilled, locals n surfers having a good time. In the last 5 or so years they had started to go downhill a bit and was attracting a lot of assholes from out of town, the city made em close at 8.30.

Yeah so u can still drink in the beach huts....right?

Closing at 6.30?!? Wow! Seems hardly worth them opening in the first place. The funny thing is that Zushi was the least chavvy affected beach as it's a wee bit of a walk from the station. Kugenuma was where most of the skanky shit was going on. They used to be open until 10-11pm and be really chilled, locals n surfers having a good time. In the last 5 or so years they had started to go downhill a bit and was attracting a lot of assholes from out of town, the city made em close at 8.30.

What kinda bar closes at 6:30???????????????????????

Maybe 6:30am?

6:30 thats when most barscare thinking about opening not closing.

I guess if it keeps the rifraf away then maybe a good thing for those that want to enjoy a quite and peaceful beach.

I'm sure you get some pricks going to the beach, but its usually easy to get them to all go to the same places. It doesn't mean you need a blanket ban for every beach in the country.

As for camping, I love it, but my wife works now, so I guess its Saturdays only, even in the school holidays. I wanted to stick the car on the Niigata-Hokkaido ferry, but its not going to happen this year.

The camp sites I've been to in Japan have often had cleaner toilets and showers than minshukus. I've also been to ones where they have carts and wheelbarrows for carrying your stuff from the car to your pitch. My favourite one I've been to is the one by the walk to the waterfall at the north end of the main Okinawa island. The one I want to go to most is the one by the beach to the east of Kabira on Ishigaki. We've been to that beach and the snorkeling there is killer. It would be great to spend a few days there.

With so many onsens around, its also very easy to camp without going to a camp site. :friend: