As one who skied regularly up till I was 19, then started boarding at 35, I reckon boarding is a bit harder on a different muscle group of your legs than skiing is, yet is much easier on the knees themselves....( I feel it in the thighs and outside parts lower thighs where the muscle joins the knees )

I reckon you're not as likely to do ACL injury when boarding as you don't have the possibility of stressing your knees if your skis get crossed / out of parallel.... ( in my not so expert opinion )

Think I will stick to the skis, I wonder if a wider waist, (not mine its wide enough) will make it easier on the runs when the snows been chopped up i used 72w thinking of hiring 80ish next time?

Any thoughts?? My older legs struggled later in the day, first runs on the groomed was not a problem.

I found telemarking to be pretty hard on the legs and knees which was fine in my youth. But I'm not in my youth anymore so after more than 20 years tele'ing I'm now on AT bindings. Much easier on the legs.

I wouldn,t know of the two which is worst. I have claged out knees. To keep my knee in good shape I have taking advice from two Physio. Leah from Hakubar and Rachel from my home town. Both say bike riding build up your Quads which strengthens the upper legs. This help to lessen the compounding issues which occur in skiing and Boarding. I also invested in a pair of CTI knee bracing which prevent over extension.

I really don't think there's a definitive answer to this one. As mentioned previously technique,snow conditions and individual fitness all affect your ski/ board experience.

As someone coming from a background in road cycling and triathlon I have no knee or leg problems thus far so yes I agree with our friend Biggen.

I think I have my answer..keep cycling, get a lesson and get up early for first runs. Put the skis away after lunch,onsen,beers.

As the runs got chopped up during the day I struggled with fatigue in the quads. . At this point my knees are fine thanks to the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

I always like early morning as well and taking a soak mid afternoon.

Funny how on a workday I find it really difficult getting up. I don't seem to have the same problem with some powder out there for the morning.