Have never tried snow board, are they less tiring to ride than skis? Also they seem to look easier in the chopped up snow. Or is it Just my imagination??

if you surf or skateboard then snowboarding is somewhat similar. As to leg fatigue that comes down to fitness and technique and experience.

Also comes down to snow conditions. I find bottomless powder to almost be effortless. You just float down through it. Hard pack on the other hand requires all this edging and weighting that I find much more tiring.

And skiers get a lot of support from those tight pants hehe

:lol:

I have a gammy knee from playing football, but it doesn't get affected by snowboarding. I'd imagine skiing would be harder on it

I have a gammy knee from playing football, but it doesn't get affected by snowboarding. I'd imagine skiing would be harder on it

Yeah me too. Acl reconstruction and cartilage carnage, it swells up but doesnt stop me riding

Yeah me too. Acl reconstruction and cartilage carnage, it swells up but doesnt stop me riding

I have a wobbly knee from...skiing.

Seems to particularly interfere when I try to do moguls. (That's my excuse, anyway.)

Has ocurred to me to try boarding as a work-around.

Shame to lose the tight pants, though.

Its too late for me to have a go at boarding, but it does appear having a wider base to ride on makes it "look" easier on the legs. having just skied at Gory i found the runs pretty chopped up by mid morning and I found it hard going at times picking my lines. yes, there would be some lack of fitness and technique involved I agree, at 54 it does gets harder.

I wonder if by using a wider ski would that help in those conditions, I hired skis, they were 70 waist which is what the guy at spicys suggested. They where great on the groomed runs early in the day.

Just wondering if a wider ski would be better/easier on the well used runs. say 80ish? Dont think I will be dashing through the trees in knee deep powder.

This is not a go at boarders at all, good luck to them, but do they churn up the snow more than skis do? By the way they are much better behaved in Japan than in Australia, never saw one crash into anyone while I was there, not like in australia where it seemed to happen all day.

Errm.....I don't think we do.....boarders don't mogul the shit out of slopes....that's skiers in their tight pants, 80's day-glo gear doing tight turns. :stir:

This is not a go at boarders at all, good luck to them, but do they churn up the snow more than skis do? By the way they are much better behaved in Japan than in Australia, never saw one crash into anyone while I was there, not like in australia where it seemed to happen all day.

Depends on the resort because borders certainly do crash into others. I see it happen at least a few times during each season.

A lot is down to technique but the snow conditions steepness of the slope how hard you push it of course all effects it.

I used to get leg ache going down even not so steep slopes when I was at beginner and intermediate level.

Now even if I go down steep slopes I dont get leg ache unless I push it hard for lots of runs and that is all down to technique.

A good technique and correct body stance will make your skiing more easy, fun and relaxing on your body.

As for bording I have no idea as I have never tried.

Just like I see skiers crash into people on occasion.

Yep you get those out of control skiers that cant turn or stop and then crash into people.

Thanks snowdude, I did find by the end of my trip that my thighs coped better, That info gives me hope, that getting better technique will help me ski longer, thought it was just because Im getting old..I might get a refresh lesson next time, might help..Skied great on the first runs but as the snow messed up, I found it difficult . Again technique woud have helped.

Re - the snow boarders it might be where I was, Goryu/47, but all seemed in control and careful.

Ps , love the web site/forum. doing a great job, who ever does the daily reports need a congrats/ pat on the back as well.

My first trip was organised using this site. And nearly all of it went to plan. thanks