Though sadly and very annoyingly, this outrageously bad concept is being encouraged more and more by scumbag business owners in the UK (who need to be is censed and apologise issue.)

I hate it more than I can begin to explain in words.

:grandpa:

I won't even go to restaurants that have some absurd "service charge added to the bill later on and you need to write a number in the machine" kind of irritating nonsense bollocks going on.

What you mentioned about the machine I'm familiar with. I recall being dumbfounded about it in Edinburgh until my guide enlightened me.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You may want to check out Kiroro. Recently bought by Thais and they're Asianizing it more to appeal to the Asians. Thai restaurant up and running I hear. But having said that, there is plenty of th

Does my head in, the whole thing.   Say 'No'! Write '0'!

If i was going to propose, id probably do it in winter in shirakawa to be honest. Kinda tacky probably, but romance is kinda tacky   Oooh oooh! if you want to propose somewhere in or around nagano,

I hope you added a "0" in there.

Sorry, my first time in Scotland and I was kinda placed on the spot. Not to mention nobody told me tipping isn't the norm in that part of the world. Thanks again for that.

Sorry, my first time in Scotland and I was kinda placed on the spot.

This is one big reason that makes it so horribly smelly and despicable.

They are taking advantage of their customers; their customers are faffing about worring about "unknown/undefined costs" during/after meal and put in uncomfortable situations.

Put the charges on the menu;

I will choose what I want from said menu;

Bill me for the total cost of what I chose;

I pay for it.

Japan has it spot on - with mostly excellent service to boot.

Please don't change.

Sorry, my first time in Scotland and I was kinda placed on the spot.

This is one big reason that makes it so horribly smelly and despicable.

They are taking advantage of their customers; their customers are faffing about worring about "unknown/undefined costs" during/after meal and put in uncomfortable situations.

Put the charges on the menu;

I will choose what I want from said menu;

Bill me for the total cost of what I chose;

I pay for it.

Japan has it spot on - with mostly excellent service to boot.

Please don't change.

Hear, hear!

Did someone mention to expect higher accommodation charges over New Year and less availability ( .... in fact, Book Now! ;) )

They did mention, but I had no idea I had to book this early. Thanks for the tip!

The Book Now thing is a bit of a joke on here hence the ;)

Though in really popular places they will get booked quickly

Actually it's true, because a lot of the hotels at Rosutsu, Mt. Granview and Niseko are already fully booked for the Christmas season! Still searching, but worst case I'll have to get a hotel a bit ways off and find transportation to the slopes. It was suggested Mt. Rokko for late December, I'll try there.

If i was going to propose, id probably do it in winter in shirakawa to be honest. Kinda tacky probably, but romance is kinda tacky :)

Oooh oooh! if you want to propose somewhere in or around nagano, id also recommend a trip to the Hokkusai museum and a wander around Obuse. It also puts you in spitting distance of nozawa, myoko et al so you can go skiing or something.

• Like 1

How could you not take photos there! its a lovely little town :)

Still, you got zenkoji, and since zenkoji is my favorite temple in Japan (not just nagano bias - i really love how monolithic and imposing it is), then all is right with the universe.

I know it is, now.

Actually, I can't think I would have taken too many in the centre. While it's nice, it's not that nice. It's more about the little shops and the chestnuts isn't it.

Well, from what saw. We basically just had a walk round the central towny bit. Like I said would like to see more if there is more.

And if you're in Nagano you should go to Fujiya Gohonjin. It's a very nice Meiji Era restaurant just down the road from Zenkoji. Probably the classiest place in the prefecture. Definitely a good place for a proposal.

• Like 1
Why don't you go to all of the places we have suggested?

:party:

Oh trust me, I'd love to. But my kids' Christmas break, and my budget, both have a finite number attached to it. Not to mention hotel rooms are being gobbled up like crazy! Rusutzu, Granview and Niseko are all but full, save for the Hilton which costs an arm and a leg. As one poster pointed out, I still have to buy, or rent, snow gear. Then there's international and local airfare, Christmas presents, food, etc.

Where's that "facepalm" emoticon...

How are you trying to book? I seriously doubt "all" Niseko and Rusutsu is booked. Are u using an agent? Or doing it yourself? The reason I query it is that I didn't usually try and book my new year break (when I lived down near Yokohama) until late autumn and I was easily able to get a place.....Rusutsu, Hakuba, Shiga Kogen....I had no problem. I was using Japanese agents online and they had plenty including return airfare for when I went to Rusutsu. That said I have no kids so perhaps the size of room makes it more difficult

How are you trying to book? I seriously doubt "all" Niseko and Rusutsu is booked. Are u using an agent? Or doing it yourself? The reason I query it is that I didn't usually try and book my new year break (when I lived down near Yokohama) until late autumn and I was easily able to get a place.....Rusutsu, Hakuba, Shiga Kogen....I had no problem. I was using Japanese agents online and they had plenty including return airfare for when I went to Rusutsu. That said I have no kids so perhaps the size of room makes it more difficult

I'm doing all of the legwork, or fingerwork, via booking.com/agoda/trip advisor. Seems you've had more luck than me. Last hotel I checked was something called Appi Grand and it was booked solid. And you're right, it's different with kids. Best I got, so far, was ANA Crown at Kobe which is near Mt. Rokko, but that's a Plan B if I can't get any other deals. I'll try your advice about asking friends in Japan to check with local agents, thanks!

Yeah, you are using foreign sites and they do give the impression of things being full up BUT Japanese agencies won't have their winter brochure/packages ready.....they'll prob only have just organised their summer ones!! In my experience they hold back a lot of rooms for the domestic market, it's unusual for locals to book a year in advance which is why you can't find cheap flights more than 3 months before the date. Also ANA and JAL have very competitive package deals, flight + accommodation, but again they won't be available until autumn at the earliest. If you have people over here who could check and or book for you in Japanese from a Japanese website you may find it's not as full as you were lead to believe