• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You may want to check out Kiroro. Recently bought by Thais and they're Asianizing it more to appeal to the Asians. Thai restaurant up and running I hear. But having said that, there is plenty of th

Does my head in, the whole thing.   Say 'No'! Write '0'!

If i was going to propose, id probably do it in winter in shirakawa to be honest. Kinda tacky probably, but romance is kinda tacky   Oooh oooh! if you want to propose somewhere in or around nagano,

Brian, your kids want to ski or just feel the snow?

How romantic are you thinking for the proposal?

Vomit romantic or just tears in her eyes?

Feel the snow, then a day of ski lessons. Vomit romantic sounds expensive, I'll save that for the wedding.

OK, got it. So what kinda budget?

You will be struggling to do skiing in Kyushu, average in Dec is about 20cm.

Thanks for telling me about that. I checked the snow depths on this website but haven't the foggiest what's the adequate amount to go skiing in. As for budget, again no clue on how much these things cost. If we're talking hotels, I'm ok with 3-4 stars. If we're talking snow clothes, ski rentals, tutoring fees etc. kindly refer to the "haven't a foggiest/no clue" remarks.

If you were to travel all the way to Hokkaido, what about staying in Sapporo? For the skiing you could get on a shuttle from your hotel to Teine or Kokusai, but if you decide you don't really like it you will still have plenty of other things to see and do.

If you were to travel all the way to Hokkaido, what about staying in Sapporo? For the skiing you could get on a shuttle from your hotel to Teine or Kokusai, but if you decide you don't really like it you will still have plenty of other things to see and do.

Thank you for the suggestion. All those places are new to me but I'll be sure to do my research. After a dozen times in Japan I've never been up north farther than Tokyo.

OK,

Very rough estimate.

1) Clothes for 2 kids and 2 adults, pants, jacket, inner layers, gloves, beanie, goggles. Ski boots and skis can be hired. I can't see this being done for less than 200,000.

2) Airfares to Winter Wonderland from Kyushu, 20,000 each on AirDo.

3) Transportation to hotel, perhaps at resort or in Sapporo, 4 seats, 20,000.

4) Hotel per night, 40,000 for family in one room.

5) Food per person per day, 10,000.

6) Lessons, lift passes. The world is your oyster.

Mate, I don't think it's doable since you're still struggling with the ring.

Good luck to you.

OK,

Very rough estimate.

1) Clothes for 2 kids and 2 adults, pants, jacket, inner layers, gloves, beanie, goggles. Ski boots and skis can be hired. I can't see this being done for less than 300,000.

2) Airfares to Winter Wonderland from Kyushu, 20,000 each on AirDo.

3) Transportation to hotel, perhaps at resort or in Sapporo, 4 seats, 20,000.

4) Hotel per night, 40,000 for family in one room.

5) Food per person per day, 10,000.

6) Lessons, lift passes. The world is your oyster.

Mate, I don't think it's doable since you're still struggling with the ring.

Good luck to you.

Sonofa... Pardon my ignorance, we have winter clothes but not snow clothes, the latter (jacket, gloves, goggles etc) can't be rented? I thought skiing would be something akin to scuba diving, something I know a lot about, wherein you can come into a dive shop in a shirt/shorts/flip flops and rent an entire scuba gear with wetsuit, mask, snorkel, gloves and fins.

ahhhh... yes you can.

Fullset of skiwear, the basic stuff, around 5,000 per kid and 7,000 per adult.

That's the info from the Resort information from the SnowJapan main site. You want to look there for some great info.

Personally, I would never rent clothing. But that's just me.

Trust me, it's not something I want to do either. But just like the thousands of foreign divers that try out diving for the first time and rent the whole kit and caboodle, the costs overshadow the unpleasant feeling of using rented attire.

Again, my sincere appreciation for taking the time to enumerate the financial part as well as tell me of the various aspects of trying out skiing.

Fly to Tokyo, take bullet train to Echigo Yuzawa. Book Hotel New Otani at NASPA, and keep in mind you're in peak of peak season for cost when there are no deals.

Thanks for the succinct reply. And yes you're right about costs, and crowds, are going to be a pain.

It's not actually Hotel New Otani at NASPA. It's NASPA New Otani, seperate companies in the group. ;)

The Yuzawa New Otani Hotel is a main New Otani.

Both here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-places-to-stay/area/yuzawa-niigata

Thanks for clearing that up, one less aspect to the confusion that is my vacation!

How about Mt Rokko.

Mt Rokko overlooks Kobe, has a number of good hotels, easy to get to with public transport, nice and romantic at night (the lights of Kobe) and has a snow park.

It's not the place to go if you want to ski all day on great slopes (that's Mt Granview), but as an introduction to snow and skiing it would be great. There is no listing on SnowJapan but a quick google search should get you the info you need.

If you then decided that you wanted to go to an actual ski resort there are plenty of day trips by bus from Kobe and Osaka. While generally the snow in that part of Japan is not great over the Christmas/New Year period I still got two days of good skiing from Osaka at New Years http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/blog/20-onehungas-blog/

But wait there is more, there is also a Musical Box Museum, now how romantic is that.

How about Mt Rokko.

Mt Rokko overlooks Kobe, has a number of good hotels, easy to get to with public transport, nice and romantic at night (the lights of Kobe) and has a snow park.

It's not the place to go if you want to ski all day on great slopes (that's Mt Granview), but as an introduction to snow and skiing it would be great. There is no listing on SnowJapan but a quick google search should get you the info you need.

If you then decided that you wanted to go to an actual ski resort there are plenty of day trips by bus from Kobe and Osaka. While generally the snow in that part of Japan is not great over the Christmas/New Year period I still got two days of good skiing from Osaka at New Years http://www.snowjapan...onehungas-blog/

But wait there is more, there is also a Musical Box Museum, now how romantic is that.

Very interesting ideas, I'll be sure to Google this more. Thanks very much!

Tenjindaira in Gunma on a bluebird day would make an excellent proposal spot. Also pretty easy to get to from Tokyo.

http://www.snowjapan...__fromsearch__1

Wow, breathtaking indeed, thanks!

You could probably have your first child during the gondola ride getting up there!

;)

Hahaha, I already have two. Single dad for almost a decade. I'd rather have my tubes tied!