Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, to snow in Japan and to skiing for that matter. So I hope this is the right place to put up this post. I've been to Japan a dozen times but never during December. I'm planning on having Christmas in Kumamoto but want to travel to a snowy area on December 27 to January 2.

I basically want my kids to experience snow for the first time, maybe get skiing lessons and maybe maybe maybe propose to my girlfriend on New Years day. Any tips on places to go, romantic spots or decent ski resorts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You may want to check out Kiroro. Recently bought by Thais and they're Asianizing it more to appeal to the Asians. Thai restaurant up and running I hear. But having said that, there is plenty of th

Does my head in, the whole thing.   Say 'No'! Write '0'!

If i was going to propose, id probably do it in winter in shirakawa to be honest. Kinda tacky probably, but romance is kinda tacky   Oooh oooh! if you want to propose somewhere in or around nagano,

You may want to check out Kiroro. Recently bought by Thais and they're Asianizing it more to appeal to the Asians. Thai restaurant up and running I hear. But having said that, there is plenty of the Hokkaido powder to enjoy, and for beginners, the groomers are wide and not steep.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'd prefer as near to Kumamoto as possible, but if most of the suggestions are for up north then I'll acquiesce to your recommendations.

Most of the places for snow towards the south probably aren't exactly winter wonderlands. If Hokkaido is too far, would you be able to make it as far as Nagano?

Most of the places for snow towards the south probably aren't exactly winter wonderlands. If Hokkaido is too far, would you be able to make it as far as Nagano?

I'll make it as far as necessary! Hahaha. Any recommendations would be really appreciated since I haven't a clue as to where to go. I don't even know if I have to buy snow clothes or if I can just rent them. By snow clothes I mean those parkas, thick gloves, boots etc that I see people wear when they frolick in the snow. Like I said, not a clue.

But without a bit more on what you want, it's such a massively wide question isn't it.

Sit down and browse through previous threads on here - there's lots - and get an idea of things.

If you want an intro to winter sports, this is a great place to start

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-general-information/introduction-to-japan-winter-sports

But without a bit more on what you want, it's such a massively wide question isn't it.

Sit down and browse through previous threads on here - there's lots - and get an idea of things.

If you want an intro to winter sports, this is a great place to start

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-general-information/introduction-to-japan-winter-sports

Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to peruse it asap. I apologize if I wasn't too specific on what I wanted. Aside from what I said in my original post of being in Kumamoto for Christmas, wanting to go to a snowy place late December, having my kids see snow for the first time, build a snowman, try basic skiing lessons and maybe find a romantic hotel or spot in the snow to propose to my girlfriend (this part is way optional since I'm still saving up for the ring), I'm not sure what other information I can give as to what I want. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Before posting, I did look around the forums. But so many people mentioned so many different places to go to that I got confused. Not to mention that I wasn't sure if late December had snow in what particular place and in what quantity. It was starting to get daunting, hence why I decided to ask for help.

Nozawa Onsen has a nice quaint Japanese feel to it though there aren't many especially nice hotels. There are plenty of guest ryokan which might be nice.

Judging by this season's report from around that time there was enough snow around for playing even at the bottom of the hill.

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports/Nozawa-Onsen-Now/27th-December-2013

Not as much as you'd get way up north of course.

The past Winter it was dodgy in December anywhere south of the Winter Wonderland.

If you want to stay Kyushu, the try Gokase Highland in Miyazaki, but I doubt you'd find much snow there.

Your best bet would be to fly to Sapporo and find a romantic place in the south of the wonderland. Middle of the island was a bit slow this past season too.

The past Winter it was dodgy in December anywhere south of the Winter Wonderland.

Do you toss one off when you say shit like that?

Mike does it too.

It's crappier/cheesier than Bottomless, but without any element of funny.

Hmm, no.

I've done all sorts of analysis and way too much faffing about actuall, but all signs conclude that it's simply really rubbish smelly cheese.