• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't watch those anymore.....seriously, I wanna slap the lot of them. It's funny,, Japanese people as individuals are modest but the J media is completely the opposite. The sound of the self cong

I love it when certain gaijin talents try to introduce to us all the latest trends back in the Old Country, when they haven't even lived there for 20-30 years themselves. (Thinking Dave Spector or Pakkun, for example.) What makes them experts? Most likely, of course, they have just been handed material by one of the show's scriptwriters who happens to be handy with the internet.

Yeah, its laughable when they start giving it the "ima, minna ga ....."

One reason there are lots of these panel shows and programmes about Japanese people living overseas is that they use fewer talento and they are cheap to make. Giving the load of gaijin ichiman yen each is going to be way cheaper than giving Yoshimoto a million for a couple of midranking male "comedians", another million for the screechy women "comedians", and then some other jimusho a million for a couple of dumb cuties to laugh at the others' jokes and antics.

In Japan, tv is mainly watched by older folks, so I guess a lot of it panders to their assumptions and prejudices. Younger folks are spending less and less time watching.

One of my mates was on one of the panel shows a few years ago and I think he got 12,000 plus the taxi fare. I'd be amazed if any of them sitting there with "CANADA" or "PHILLIPPINES" stuck to their chest get as much as ni man, but even if they do, its only a "kimochi" payment which is nothing compared to what it costs to get talento.

Obviously Pakkun, Bobby, Dave Spector etc. are talento and will belong to some jimusho and get paid through that. Hopefully their own jimusho.

• SnowJapan Admin

Well done Chriselle!

A number of times I have been asked to do some silly tv stuff.

The worst one was a Niigata local station that wanted to do a 'gambatte iru' gaikokujin piece. They explained to me that it would take half a day, they wanted to come to the office and film me talking on the phone (!), eating lunch (!!), drinking coffee, talking to unspecified locals apparently about anything, and typing on the computer keyboard (!!!). No kidding. Perhaps come into my home too.

Er, no, I don't think so.

Just the idea of it horrifies me!

That doesn't sound too bad to be honest! You could have decorated the office with some girl with big knockers nama beer posters and sat there typing BOOK NOW!

It's much better than making you into the IGIRISU puppet and suggesting that everything you say in your twenty seconds is exactly what every IGIRISUJIN thinks and feels.

• SnowJapan Admin

You're right on that. But I'm pretty sure I recall him asking on the phone if I could use chopsticks and how it would be interesting to viewers if when I had lunch it was eating with them and that kind of stuff. I can well imagine they would have wanted to add in as much igirisu puppet nonsense in there as possible.

Are there any likeable gaijin talento out there?

I like Robert Campbell. Smart and humble. Of course being a talent isn't his day job, he's really a university professor who does some moonlighting on quiz shows and news programs.

There was another occasional news commentator on economics issues I used to like as well, though don't remember his name and haven't seen him in a while. Again, not really a talent, more of a commentator.

As for full-time talents, Shane Camus seemed rather likeable, though only seem to see him in newspaper ads any more.

That guitar-playing Eric guy (my kid called him "Eric Oniisan") who used to be on Eigo de Asobou until about 10 years ago seemed like quite a nice person. I've heard he is nice in real-life, too.

Kaiya was a bit too loud and wacky, but seemed to be fiercely devoted to trying to raise her kids and keep the family together despite her philandering weasel of a husband, so always kind of rooted for her. Don't see her on TV much these days.

You're right on that. But I'm pretty sure I recall him asking on the phone if I could use chopsticks and how it would be interesting to viewers if when I had lunch it was eating with them and that kind of stuff. I can well imagine they would have wanted to add in as much igirisu puppet nonsense in there as possible.

You should have taken them up to Granview!

I'm pretty sure Eric and his three chords are still on Eigo de Asobo, Metabo!

Oh, really? Well, good!

"What do you like to do?

What do you like to do?

What do you like

What do you like

What do you like to do?"

Perhaps pie-eater could go on and do some Abe-related commentary.

As well as possibly present some of his ongoing projects, for example Domes.

That does sound rather fabulous.

But I would be looking for a more serious platform. Perhaps NHK or the posher 'BS'.

On now:

"Things gaikokujin think are great about Japan" tv program, complete with fawning gaijin and increasingly proud of their sugoi-ness.