Did anyone else see that TV program last night?

It was one of the kind where they have lots of Japanese speaking gaijin on a panel, as well a Japanese panel. Basically talking about how great Japan is and how surprised the gaijin are at all the wonderful things in Japan.

They have a point with some things of course (like the trains being on time and beautifully clean etc etc), but it got pretty nauseous and very self-congratulatory.

The normal Japanese person watching will only have their stereotypes of themselves reinforced by this stuff.

It got quite annoying actually; with the gaijin panel partly to blame for playing along with it all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't watch those anymore.....seriously, I wanna slap the lot of them. It's funny,, Japanese people as individuals are modest but the J media is completely the opposite. The sound of the self cong

I know what you mean. It's all a bit 'Japan is sugoi' coming from the gaijin followed up by 'yappari, so desu ne' by the Japanese.

One thing that I hear too much is the comment 'in foreign countries...' as if everything is the same in every country of the world. Apart from Japan of course.

Wonder how those gaijin end up being on the telly like that?

It's often the same pool of 'talent' isn't it.

I can't watch those anymore.....seriously, I wanna slap the lot of them. It's funny,, Japanese people as individuals are modest but the J media is completely the opposite. The sound of the self congratulatory patting on their own backs is obnoxiously loud these days..

• Like 1

Something I don't quite get having not spent that much time there.

But there seems to be a curiously odd (?) mix of modesty and pride going on. Is it predictable or as random as it seems?

I rather despise the 'Nippon dake' response and thinking to things that may be different to how things are done or perceived elsewhere in the world.

I love it when certain gaijin talents try to introduce to us all the latest trends back in the Old Country, when they haven't even lived there for 20-30 years themselves. (Thinking Dave Spector or Pakkun, for example.) What makes them experts? Most likely, of course, they have just been handed material by one of the show's scriptwriters who happens to be handy with the internet.

Dave Spector annoys me incessantly…….and his hair looks like a packet of instant ramen….before you put it in the pot!! And Pakkun…….that boy's face winds me up no end

Hmm yeah but.... "full" is better.

Better as in more sexiful of course. Wrong word to use maybe. Well maybe not. Doh!

And, she sings that goddawful ever-so-popular-now-I-want-to-bang-head-against-wall Disney song too.