Zenkoji (Nagano City) - 10th May 2014

Yes it is very nice, I have been there in winter when it was covered in snow as well as during the green season, very nice in both cases.

Zenkoji temple in Nagano is also partnered with Zenkoji temple in Kofu, I think they were founded by the same warlord or something!

I would like to see it in winter, yes.

We stopped off in 'Chestnut Town' Obuse on the way back. Obviously, ate lots of chestnut related stuff, it's the rule!

That was very nice too. The lovely weather helps of course.

Lovely photos! We love Zenkoji, all our kids got blessed there.

If Dumbstick or anyone else is interested, the maple which is crimson in spring as well as autumn is called a Chishio. It goes green in summer.

I recommend some of the just made warm senbe on in that pedestrianised road area just leading up to the temple.

The one with tons of black pepper on was very cho-yummy.

Does it go red again in autumn?

Yes. The green it goes in summer is a bit yellowy, so they're not as nice as ordinary maples at that time of year.

We got one last year, but ours is only about five feet high. I got it off the "momiji center" guy on Yahoo Auctions when he was having a pick-up only sale.

The darker purpley ones on the left in the second last photo look like Nomura maples that will stay that colour until autumn.

Its a little hard to tell from these photos but Zenkoji is one of the biggest temples on the island of Japan!

I have been twice to Zenkoji. Once in the pouring rain and once on a day like yours here Muika.

Weather has such a big impact on a day out like that does't it.

But yes a fine place indeed.