This is a little off thread BUT can any hokkaido locals please help me out.

In Chitose there is a small 50's Antique & Collectables store. Is it still open and does it open on Saturday's??

This is our first stop on our 2015 Road Trip!! My trip to Japan is not complete with out a stop there.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjEE_1U0-8s   Book Now!

With all that expensive stuff, I suppose it's good that there's some cheap downmarket stuff to choose from.

Well, there's a strong case for saying that you need to be is censed and apologise issue.     Have fun, no doubt you will!

It is right next door to this building

〒066-0012 Hokkaidō, Chitose-shi, Honchō, 1 Chome−7−1 スカイコート千歳

Epic trip Tubby can't wait for the photo's. If you need a lift back we will be there in February. :rollabout:

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Chitose (5 years ago) but don't know of this 50's antique shop! Where is it? Near the park? Near the train station?

I'll be going there in August, so let me know where it is and I'll have a look out for it!

I used to live in Chitose (5 years ago) but don't know of this 50's antique shop! Where is it? Near the park? Near the train station?

I'll be going there in August, so let me know where it is and I'll have a look out for it!

It is right next door to this building

〒066-0012 Hokkaidō, Chitose-shi, Honchō, 1 Chome−7−1 スカイコート千歳

It is a fun quirky little shop. We bought a stack of stuff there last time.

Does it have an array of old japanese items from taxidermy of local wild life to early 1900 fireman helmet?

This may affect my decision to go to "Hakuba valley"** (as there's a shop there that does have such an array of goods) or Hokkaido, so it's jolly important.

(** Marketers. Does the v need to be a capital letter?)

• 1 month later...

Just a note for anyone heading to Hokkaido that Skymark said today that they'll probably shut down all of their operations at Narita in October this year.

It might be easier to get a good connection to Hokkaido from Haneda or to fly to Sapporo via an Asian hub.

we are going in early January for just over a week doing all the stuff the tourists do.so hopefully can get as much out of the trip as possible. also how busy are the slopes at this time of year as a novice to intermediate once I get my mojo happening if someones stopped mid run I tend to have great difficulty going around them. I see you have just been over any tips on traditional japanese restaurants for a family with kids looking for a more relaxed environment and not too expensive also what do all you guys do for lunch on the mountain I see there are quite a few places but whats the best and cheapest around happo one

Apologies for not having the technical nounce to quote properly (Help Mod....) but this may be helpful to Little J.

My wife, kids (14 & 12 then) and I went to Hakuba last January staying in Happo One. As an old ski bum who grew up beside Glenshee resort in Scotland, it was my first time back on skis since moving to Australia 20 years ago.

As everyone I have spoken to here in Brisbane since returning will testify, I can rave at great length about this fantastic place, but there isn't the room here so a few small pointers:

1.) No negatives whatsoever, this place is a truly fantastic ski resort. We skied 4 resorts in the valley and the variety of the terrain puts it up there with many of the European Big Boys - the snow is probably better!

2.) My wife (as a beginner/intermediate) and my kids (both new to snow) preferred the skiing at Goryu. It has much larger and more varied beginner slopes than Happo One.

3.) FOOD IS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

4.) Prices are unbelievable - in the evenings we wined and dined for far less coin than it takes in Brisbane.

5.) No evidence of loutish behaviour from Aussies on our trip. On the contrary many Aussies we met were knowledgeable about Japanese culture and language.

6.) Onsens DEFINITELY help the aches and pains.

7.) I can confirm that during the week the slopes are eerily quiet so you can clock up as many ski k's as the knee joints can take. I virtually always skied straight onto the chair with no waiting whatsoever. Weekends are a bit different as the Tokyo crowd hits the slopes and you should plan your day's routes to avoid the crowds. The great plus about this was the chance to meet more Japanese people.

We're booked up to go back for 12 days' skiing in January 2015 (+ 2 days in Tokyo for shopping / sumo Basho) and can't wait.

ENJOY !!

No, Pitlochry !

I remember some skiers from Blair though as the 1978 school ski trip was a combined Tayside schools job to Ravascletto (Monte Zoncolan) in Italy.

Are you from Blair Tubby ?

Dun Day - still pretty close to Glenshee.

Nothing like a first run face plant into wind crust and ice atop the Tiger on a windblown -12 morning to get rid of the hangover !!!

Have to laugh thinking about the following conversation which must have been repeated about a dozen times in Hakuba last season:

Local: "Where you from?"

Me: "Australia, but originally from Scotland"

Local: "Aaaaaah, Scottoland. Scotch whisky very good!"

Don't remember fried Mars Bars, but last time I was back I couldn't get enough black pudding, white pudding and of course Haggis !

Ask Tubby if he's ever ordered "Twa plain bridies an' an ingin in' an' a'"?