I have used Korean air two times, when I have been to Korea and both times they had brand new or nearly new aeroplanes!

Was only a short trip from Japan to Korea, so only had refreshments, was about a 2 hr flight.

The service was very good on the times I used them, both in the plane and at the airport, much, much, much better then Air France, which is diabolical!!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjEE_1U0-8s   Book Now!

With all that expensive stuff, I suppose it's good that there's some cheap downmarket stuff to choose from.

Well, there's a strong case for saying that you need to be is censed and apologise issue.     Have fun, no doubt you will!

we are going in early January for just over a week doing all the stuff the tourists do.so hopefully can get as much out of the trip as possible. also how busy are the slopes at this time of year as a novice to intermediate once I get my mojo happening if someones stopped mid run I tend to have great difficulty going around them. I see you have just been over any tips on traditional japanese restaurants for a family with kids looking for a more relaxed environment and not too expensive also what do all you guys do for lunch on the mountain I see there are quite a few places but whats the best and cheapest around happo one

On slope food tends to be priced roughly the same all over.....a little over priced, a curry, ramen or whatever should be around 1000¥. Beer 500-600¥. Other restaurants are a bit far away from the slopes, so unless u wanna waste riding time I would stick to the restaurants on the slopes.

compared to Australia, you will be quite happy with the prices, nothing like the on snow costs in australia. Regarding people on the slopes, mid week is quite, Goryu/47 is also great for beginners and family. This pic was taken mid week in Jan 2014

Iimori

WOW!! what time of the day was that? did you ski at any of the other ski fields and if so was it like that at the others? can you go from happo to goryu using the same lift ticket?

WOW!! what time of the day was that? did you ski at any of the other ski fields and if so was it like that at the others? can you go from happo to goryu using the same lift ticket?

I think it was around late morning..ish.

We stayed at Goryu, {after I hurt my wrist}, so cant say for sure but I dont think it would be too crazy at happo one, Dont take this as gosple I didnt go, but I heard Happo one is a bit steeper and more moguls.

Japans skier grading is a bit harder than Australia, My wife found some of the beginner runs a little scary at first. My guess is its 1/2 grade in between, if that makes sense. BUT NO ICE..

So not so scary,

Just a tip, get up for the first runs, 8.30,runs are at their groomed best. by lunch time you will have had enough, go and have a HOT bath, then a few beers..Perfect..

Goryu and Happo are not connected and don't share lift tickets......Hakuba is the area NOT a resort, it can seem confusing especially from international marketing. Goryu and 47 are linked and share a lift ticket.

It can be busy on slope during the new year holidays but outside of that, midweek especially, is quiet. Usually snow condition is great but be aware that it is of course at the whims of nature and there are no 100% guarantees.....icy conditions or low snow conditions do happen sometimes.

my kids are 11 and 9 and are ten times better than me at skiing although they are trying snowboarding for the first time this trip - definitely having lessons though otherwise I would be skiing at any other ski field if they were let loose on their own.!!!

I think over the usual xmas new year period, as in Australia, Just another tip , if you want more info start up your own Topic./ thread, you will get lots of advise and help.

Sorry for breaking in the thread. I introduced myself in another one.

As stated there, we are a group of spaniards travelling in Jan 2015 to Hokkaido. We want to move on and go beyond the Pyrenees and the Alps in the quest for powder :D

I want to believe that there's no hype at all in all the videos we get from there and that "el Niño" would be a minor threat for the next season.

I wanted to share our plan with you. Any feedback, consideration or remark from you guys is wellcomed and really appreciated.

So, we will have 8 days for skiing in the insland. These are the ski resorts we wanted to visit:

Niseko

Rusutsu

Teine/Kiroro

Tomamu

Asahidake

Kamui Links

We were considering to search for 2 different acommodations. One in western hokkaido and the other one in central Hokkaido.

For the former we'd be placed in Niseko and the latter Asahikawa.

The thing is that we are a bit "surprised" with prices around Niseko. We are used to make ski safaris around the Alps. So, are there more economic options if we dismissed Niseko's and move away from there in our search for accomodation? I've seen the list you have here but they are all quite close to Niseko.

Would you consider, for instance, staying at Rusutsu and 2 days of our plan hire a car for getting and skiing in Niseko?

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Rusutsu is pretty quiet after the lifts close.....if you are hiring a car....why not stay in Sapporo? It's a little further from the slopes but a huge city with lots of room options and eating and drinking dens...15-20 mins drive (by ur car not bus) to Teine, 45mins-1hr to Kokusai, 1-1.5 hrs to Rusutsu and about 2-2.5 hrs to Niseko, Kiroro is about 1hr drive as well

For only 8 days I wouldn't look to travel to so many resorts. You'll barely get to scratch the surface at each resort. I'd base yourself either in Niseko and do day trips to Rusutsu and Kiroro or Asahikawa for the more central resorts. I think if you had a few weeks then doing the lot would be great but with so little time and the time it takes to travel between regions (you'd lose most of a day) you're best just choosing to do either the SW or central region on this trip.

we are going in early January for just over a week doing all the stuff the tourists do.so hopefully can get as much out of the trip as possible. also how busy are the slopes at this time of year as a novice to intermediate once I get my mojo happening if someones stopped mid run I tend to have great difficulty going around them. I see you have just been over any tips on traditional japanese restaurants for a family with kids looking for a more relaxed environment and not too expensive also what do all you guys do for lunch on the mountain I see there are quite a few places but whats the best and cheapest around happo one

Regarding eating out, all eating places where pretty relaxed, have english menues and a lot have photos of the food to make your choices. We never experienced any negative issues, all are happy to have your eating at their place..and at great prices. Kids will be very welcome.

Your lodge can make bookings for you they know the best places, and can organise it. We just walked in but there was only 2 of us, with the family probably good idea to book. Starts getting dark around 4, so you might be eating out earlier than normal.

Hers another tip.. if your buying snow boots, get ones with zips in them. always taking them on and off going out, in and out of places. Especially for the kids. We bought lace up ones when we got there, great boots but ...anything else?, glad to help

In regards to boots I'd not advise boots that are made for work or hiking. They generally have really hard soles to reduce wear and tear. It's a bit like road tyres and winter tyres. Road tyres don't grip snow and ice very well at all. Winter tyres are a softer compound and grip much better. Best to look for boots made for the snow as they are similar. Especially important in villages like Hirafu where it's on a fairly significant slope and there's few walkways that are cleared of snow. I think more people hurt themselves there slipping over in the village than on the slopes.

^^this! I have a nice pair of Timberland boots that I thought would be great in the snow and ice....not so! If it's hard packed snow or ice you just slip over the top of it. Best to get some softer soled snow boots

I agree, the snow shoes we bought in a store in Hakuba $35 au, where snow purpose boots and we used them the whole time when not in ski boots, just wouldnt get lace ups if I had my time again.

Another tip, buy a return bus ticket from Nagano to Hakuba, cheaper than one way only. Purchased from the small shop on the ground level under the stairs near where the bus leaves from. Also saves sorting out payment with the bus driver with the crowd waiting behind you.