I suppose flights are an issue for our Australian friends.

Interested to know though is it not possible to get a flight into Japan at short notice in winter?

I was looking at flights for January a few days ago, one of the flights I was looking at popped up with a warning that only a few seats were remaining - was sapporo to hong kong.

I then checked the same flights again yesterday and they had gone up by $200 each way.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjEE_1U0-8s   Book Now!

With all that expensive stuff, I suppose it's good that there's some cheap downmarket stuff to choose from.

Well, there's a strong case for saying that you need to be is censed and apologise issue.     Have fun, no doubt you will!

Actually, for the same flights, I got a quote from a travel agent, checked the airline website and checked webjet, suprisingly, the travel agent was the cheapest by a significant margin.

Wow. Sounds like a fun trip. I can't believe how early you guys book. What's up with that?

For us not many options in Furano and Our First choice was already fully booked for all of February. Niseko our regular stay had tripled in price and out 2nd choice was also nearly booked out.

Remember the lift at Chisenupuri is not operating anymore snowhuntress so it's purely a backcountry peak now. And we've booked our accommodation already as well (believe it or not it was already getting difficult to find a place for the dates we're going and the size of our group). Haven't booked flights yet but will soon.

Thanks for that Go Native. I did not know that. Revise visit Boys go to Chisenpuri Girls go Shopping :lol: .

Flights aren't booked yet as most of them aren't putting up their 2015 prices yet. But we are looking at going Korean Air at this stage.

Tripled in price? :lol:

A bit of an aside, sorry.

I just always find it very odd that so many people seem to want to fly all the way over to Japan and then go to the exact same (overpriced) places over and over and over again.

Don't you want to check out some other places at all? :confused:

(If not, whyever not?!)

Just by being here on these Forums, surely you have been exposed to at least the names of many other places.

I like Niseko for the snow, I have been a number of times myself, but there's so many more great places out there to sample. And many places that I prefer. You won't know stuff like that if you always go to the same place.

I don't know why people find it hard to understand ski. In Australia it's incredibly common for people to say go on an Easter holiday to the same place every year. I know plenty of people who go to the same national park for their Easter holiday every year. Why? Because they love it. They know they'll love it again and it's something to look forward to each year. Because they work long and hard and just want a holiday that they know they'll enjoy. Plenty of Australians also book a holiday at the same ski resort in Australia year after year after year. When I was taking bookings in Niseko we also had groups of retired Japanese people who would come and stay with us in the same apartments every summer year after year to escape the heat of Tokyo. Why? They love the area. I'm sure there's Brits who go on holiday year after year to the same place in say Spain. Or Americans who take a holiday year after year to the same place in Florida or something similar. It's not unusual.

I don't not understand it.

I just find it a bit odd.

I suppose I've never been one to want to go to the same place all the time.

Especially when there's so many other really great places to experience.

And especially when I'm spending the best part of a day actually getting there.

But hey, people can be as unadventurous as they want desu ne.

Dozo!

:thumbsup:

It's not like people haven't been venturing beyond Niseko anyway. I mean despite seemore's best efforts they're flocking to Rusutsu as well now and I think many Japanese resorts have benefitted from people trying other resorts after trying Niseko. It's certainly a very popular entry point into the Japanese skiing experience but just from people on this site we know plenty who've moved on to try other areas.

Yes. But as well many going back as if there's nowhere else to even consider; it's a starting and ending point! :lol:

See this thread!

What can I say? People love the place. And I know from my own experienc there taking bookings for so many years that plenty of people who ventured to other areas came back because they prefer Niseko. I personally enjoy going back because I love catching up with my friends there. I miss them! Still after this next trip I really do think it's time to try some other places. I really want to try some resorts in the US.

I totally understand that point GN, if you know a place and just wanna go there then sure.....but keep going back when the price for the same accommodation, same facilities keeps rocketing?! That's what I dont understand. I'd just feelIm getting ripped off and could get similar value for money somewhere else

As I said tubs it's not like 1000's of people who started off gong to Niseko haven't tried elsewhere. Still hordes of people keep going to Niseko. According to nearly everyone I spoke to when I was there in Feb, this season was the best they've ever had. A good part of the market out there obviously feels it's still reasonable value for money. Of course there's the cashed up Aussies and Asians but in the last few years I've seen a lot more Europeans and Scandinavians as well. At least from an Aussie point of view Australian ski resorts are just so ridiculously priced they can still make Niseko seem cheap and of course Aussie snow is just crap in comparison.

We have to remember to that most of us on this site aren't really representative of the mass international ski market. For a lot of people the allure of Niseko is exactly what puts many on here off the place. It is that it's more westernised. It is the high end accommodation and dining options. It is the nightlife. It is a lot of the things that you won't find at many other Japanese ski areas.

According to nearly everyone I spoke to when I was there in Feb, this season was the best they've ever had.

People are funny. :lol:

Ah right, yes.

You're not talking about the best season ever for the guests visiting; you're talking about the people making money off the people visiting.

You're right about friends never ever bullshitting or exaggerating to their friends too, especially about their businesses.

:thumbsup:

The reason that more Europeans are going there is that the agents are pushing Niseko (and why shouldn't they) but from being on other British forums, many also find it so prohibitively expensive. They don't know the other resorts either.....some people asked me why there were so many listings under Japan in Snow-forecast!! :lol:

I get the reasons why Niseko appeals primarily to people who are not from or living in Japan.....it's westernised, there's actual bars and restaurants.....but if I were a return visitor I would feel they are pulling my pants down over the price rises year after year.

Well it was universal from all my friends who either own the businesses or are in management positions within the companies. They didn't bullshit me in previous years I've been there when they weren't doing well. Like the first season after the quake. Many did or nearly went under. And yes this was in terms of turnover and profitability. Of course I ask them every year I go how business is going. I'm interested though why you'd doubt it? Do you have any knowledge about businesses in Niseko that I don't? You know so many people there do you? Have a lot of connections in the ski industry do you?