Looks like a good spot, but cant find much accommodation, but pics I have seen shows lots of buildings, are they all pvt?

Looks good for beginners, or am I missing something?

looks great for my wife, all links for acc, seem to go to Hakuba area, Im looking for on snow or close to snow acc. Are the back runs ok for a intermediate?

we stayed at Goryu last season, thats just as far the other way I think from hakuba. Just want a place where i can leave my wife skiing on the beginner slopes while I go off for a bit of exploring. So she can go back to the room for a break.. I assume they have eating places and an bar..

I think Tsugaike Kogen will answer --- 'Tsugaike Kogen'!

I have only been once. I didn't really enjoy it though conditions had a perhaps big part to play. Don't feel the urge to quickly go back though.

Its quite run down at the bottom of Tsugaike. Unlike the main side of Goryu, they will get very few o/s tourists and pretty much all the Japanese ones will eat at their hotel. I saw an izakaya and a yakitori place when I had a wander round a couple of months ago, but I wouldn't be confident saying that's enough for folks coming from overseas.

The pension area of Goryu is also an old planted forest and has treed slopes on both sides north and south, making it much nicer to walk around than the Tsugaike base. Or indeed the base area at many other Japanese ski resorts who've seen similar declines in business.

A quick shuftie confirms that you can walk along the main road into Tsugaike on Google Streetview to see what its like.

Most Japanese tourist resorts rock that look.....old, dated and shabby. The lakes around Fuji, Atami at the top of Izu, Shimoda at the tip of Izu, Shikinejima....all spring to mind. I would say that the money just isn't there, however anytime Ive been to these places they've been pretty damned busy!

Its quite run down at the bottom of Tsugaike. Unlike the main side of Goryu, they will get very few o/s tourists and pretty much all the Japanese ones will eat at their hotel. I saw an izakaya and a yakitori place when I had a wander round a couple of months ago, but I wouldn't be confident saying that's enough for folks coming from overseas.

The pension area of Goryu is also an old planted forest and has treed slopes on both sides north and south, making it much nicer to walk around than the Tsugaike base. Or indeed the base area at many other Japanese ski resorts who've seen similar declines in business.

A quick shuftie confirms that you can walk along the main road into Tsugaike on Google Streetview to see what its like.

thanks mate

As mentioned we did stay at Goryu and the forest was nice and the restaurants within the forest great. I dont want to go to the same place again even as nice as it was.

I am hooked on Japan, just want to find a place where we can be on the snow. Not after party, although love a beer, feed and a chat..lol

Yuzawa has some on snow options (Iwappara) but looks like eat in. I guess theres always Nozawa?

There's tons of places.

You have been to Hakuba. Why do you want to go back again when you can experience a totally different place?

I dont.. just trying to work out where to next. Wife not a great skiier so have to keep her needs in mind,, for my sake..ha

Staying at Iwappara would be pretty quiet at night time I'd imagine.....unless you were to venture into town. Most places might not have proper ski in ski out AND shops/restaurants etc around the base, but getting a 20 min shuttle bus really isn't that big a thing.....right? You guys can maybe stay with each other for lunch, then if she's done she can take the shuttle bus back to resort/village and you can arrange to meet again after your done at the hotel. Or she could head off and onsen while you get ur pow fill, but arrange to meet up at a certain time back at the hotel.

Yuzawa has a town and it also has a lot of resorts within a 20-30 min bus ride. Nozawa obviously has a town next to the resort......with a few options that are ski in-ski out.

Furano has the same. Niseko and Hakuba yo are (probably) already familiar with, but they are of a similar ilk. Sapporo is a huge city with good transport up to Teine Highland, when done she could head back into the city by bus or train and you could continue your pow fest.....there are plenty shops n stuff in Sapporo to keep her occupied while you finish off your day

So, there's tons of different places you could go to.

Did you answer the bit about having a car or not?

yeah i mentioned,no car, had had a look at renting. Not sure on that.. Myoko, madarao,Yuzawa, Nozawa, Zao. These are places Ive looked at..Not really keen on the aussie masses on the other island.

So, there's tons of different places you could go to.

Did you answer the bit about having a car or not?

yeah i mentioned,no car, had had a look at renting. Not sure on that.. Myoko, madarao,Yuzawa, Nozawa, Zao. These are places Ive looked at..Not really keen on the aussie masses on the other island.

Renting a car you will easily escape the Aussie masses on the island of Japan.

How about stay at Maiko resort, near Yuzawa. Definitely Ski in and Ski out but would be quiet at night time.

If you are at Myoko, staying at Akakura Onsen Village would be pretty much ski in and ski out. There is a bit of an international(ish) ski village vibe going on there for your evening beer. There is heaps of beginner stuff around there as well as some more challenging stuff. It is not hard to get to from Tokyo, and will be getting even easier with the new shinkansen. If you want real ski in and ski out there is a big German looking place in the middle of Akakura Kankou. I forget the name but I am sure someone here will know.

Zao is also and awesome place and there is a bit of accommodation only a short walk from the slopes. I stayed in a Ryokan there last year, very comfortable and reasonable with lift ticket, lunch and dinner included with all the onsen and stuff you would expect. I managed to get rid of the wife at lunch time that way...