Hi everyone,

just after a bit of advice. A few of us are coming out to Japan December 30th- January 18th, and are planning on boarding at Hakuba, then road-tripping up to Niseko. What are the road conditions like to drive along the east coast? We are trying to work out wether it is better to go via train, or attempt to drive it.

The train lines don't look like they stop at some of the smaller villages that we wanted to see.

Also, any recommendations for activities? We are an active bunch, and want to get out of the cities. I really wanted to do the Hokkaido hike, but i assume it's going to be snowed under to do this time of year?

Cheers,

Thanks in advance!

What is "the Hokkaido hike"?

What small villages are u looking to visit? You can train it all over pretty easily, it'd take ages if you are not gonna use the Shinkansen tho. Driving a car would give u much more flexibility. As long as you have snow tyres then u should be ok for the snowy area...4WD for good measure. Again, I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by driving the "east coast". The area south of the alps gets little to no snow so roads will be fine up to about Ibaraki I'd guess, then from there up you start to drive into the snow zone

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Hokkaido hike was just what google was returning as a search? it was just a 7 day walk in the national park. It starts in Akan-ko and finishes in Shikotsu-ko.

Some of the towns we were thinking of looking at were Sanjo and Shibata?

Thanks

Do not drive from hakuba to niseko. You will spend days on the road. Driving in japan in winter goes from slow to very slow.

3 weeks is nothing, I would recommend staying at 2 resorts near each other.

Niseko-kiroro

Hakuba-myoko etc

Very interested to know why you would choose Sanjo and Shibata, any particular reason?

I know Sanjo quite well (and sanjo is from Sanjo!). Only been to Shibata a few short times.

i really want to see Sanjo because apparently there are some really nice walks and ruins outside the city? (according to google- of course). muikabochi- have you heard of these? and shiabata had a castle, temples? that sort of thing? What do you think?

Thanks gozaimaas- we've decided to train it around instead.

Actually no, Sanjo doesn't get that much snow... it's just to the south of Niigata city.

As for what you mentioned I don't know.

Oh really! Shows how much I know :D

Hi there

I live in Sanjo. While I love the place of course, can't quite think why it would be singled out.

Famous for cutlery!

Yahiko temple is not too far away, which is very nice.

Very interested to know why you would choose Sanjo and Shibata, any particular reason?

He wants to go because its kurashi no shina, hai-teku no machi!

top003.jpg

(I had another photo that's disappeared, but that's a sign by the highway)

Edited by Mr Wiggles

I always want to get myself to Minakami, because apparently they have no nuclear weapons! That sounds good to me, and they would surely not be a target in the case of an attack.

wow- shows how much google lies! thanks for the inside advice! is there anywhere really worth seeing?? (perhaps a place not famous for cutlery? whilst i love cutlery- it's not high up on my to-do-list.)..

plus... he is actually a she ;)

What are you looking to see? Traditional Japan? From Tokyo, Kamakura is a nice town to walk around, some nice temples etc and a large statue of Buddha. Easy to get to by train, about 40 mins by local line from Tokyo station. BUT there are probably nicer more postcard looking places.....Nikko for example.

yeah after traditional japan, but a bit more off track? We're a very active bunch, so looking for more opportunities to see off-the-track sort of things? I'm not sure how much there will be with all the snow, so i suppose anything other than big cities? - . Kamakura sounds nice, will add it to the list. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...